Smart TVs: Everything You Need to Know

AllanJones

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Great article John. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your Smart TV by using UnoTelly or similar tools.

Sweetchickers

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
I have what is called Mifi in my home which I pay for data usage for wifi capability on my iPhone and PC. I bought a smart tv a proscan and will it require the usage of my data plan to make use of the wifi services as it gets expensive to use if you use a lot of data?

Sweetchickers

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Is it possible to download tv shows and watch them later on my smart tv ? And will doing it this way save me on my data plan?

HZ

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
I don't care too much about hulu/netflix etc. How do I know if a smartTV allows you to install an app (such as XBMC) from a usb drive? I googled around and could not find much info...

what12

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
I live in the country and Netflix worked with my DSL (1.5 Mb/sec....150 kB/sec) without much interruption. Even with others on the internet at the same time.

darude1

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
why bother with a smart TV? i just use a computer and stream all my tv series, if the title isnt available i just torrent it, same goes for movies.
i also have all the music i need + any application there ever is

Docdish

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
Excellent except can you turn off the smart features and use the 4k UHD tv with a streaming device (Apple). Finding i cant buy a 4k UHD tv without it being smart, all smart browsing platform are pc based, ie, virus and hack porous.

Asturia

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Finally Explanation in ""ENGLISH"" LOL. Lord I am going crazy with all this technology; which found this article before we bought tv last month. now i need to buy a roku device.

seegiej

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I've heard that my smart tv may have to be replaced in 4-5 years due to a failure to be able to upgrade any more. Is this true, does anyone know?

D_8___

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
you forgot to mention the difference between a "Smart TV" and a "Smart Cast TV". Mainly, a Smart Cast TV is NOT a Smart TV.

armecia

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I bought a "smart TV" and it is the dumbest TV in our home. In fact, it "freezes" so much that if I want to watch a TV show to its conclusion I use the bedroom TV (the "dumb" one). Perhaps some time in the future these "smart" TVs will be perfected, but the "smart" TV in our home is going on the auction block to the highest bidder.

rgeiken

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I had Direct TV with my current Samsung Smart TV, but now have an indoor antenna and You Tube Red, Netflix, and Amazon. The streaming services cost about $35 a month versus $110 a month for Direct TV. I rarely watch much on OTA TV, but sometime watch local newscasts. For me, Steaming Services have cut my TV viewing since I can watch the things that I want anytime and not on a Network Schedule. It will be interesting to see what the future of TV becomes in the years ahead. The best thing about Streaming TV is that you eliminate commercials for the most part.

lrdalucard

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
You forget to cover Gamming and lag input...
So how much lag input does a smart tv has comapred to a normal hd tv?