[HTC One M7] Battery Calibration/Dying battery?

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I have an ATT M7 One that is a little under a year old and recently (Past month or so) I have been having really odd battery fluctuations. I’ll link to an imgur album with some of the battery level graphs that I’ve caught in the past few weeks to hopefully help you understand what I’m talking about more clearly since I don’t think I’ll be able to describe them very accurately on my own. So in the first case i’ve encountered I will charge the battery fully, and once the phone is running on battery it will last anywhere from 15 minutes to maybe an hour two and then just die. But when it dies, the battery level still displays 60%-70%.(Images 4,5,6,& 7) Then when I turn the phone back on the battery level will be anywhere from around 0%-20% and will last for another couple of minutes before dying again. There is another case of my battery acting really strange where the battery level will stay at around 50%-60% even though it’s being charged continuously (Right side of Image 1). I don’t know if it’s because my battery’s calibration is off or of the battery is just dying. I really hope the battery isn’t just outright dying; to get to this level of battery instability in under a year seems pretty shocking to me. I should add that i didn’t get any of these problems before I rooted my phone. I didn’t notice it while it was rooted with the stock rom. I initially started noticing the problem after I installed a GPE rom (not exactly sure which). I thought it was just the rom at first but I’ve switched around to different roms and have been getting the same problem. So does anyone know what the problem is or what could have caused it and if it is even fixable at all?

Thanks for any input!

imgur album : http://imgur.com/a/4PmuO

Solution
it means battery is dying, only option is to replace the battery
and read these tips to take good care of new battery
http://www.legitinformation.com/14-tips-to-increase-android-battery-back-up-in-interesting-way/

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Yeah I figured. I'm prepared to replace the battery myself if need be but I just want to know if it actually is a battery that needs replacing or if it can be fixed through software.

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
UPDATE: I've performed a factory reset and used the phone as normal while watching battery life. The battery life lasted about an hour and a half, getting down to 80%. Throughout the battery life I was re-installing my apps and one of my restores required a restart. When I restarted my phone, the phone powered on with 60% battery life then died about a minute later.

truegenius

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
it means battery is dying, only option is to replace the battery
and read these tips to take good care of new battery
http://www.legitinformation.com/14-tips-to-increase-android-battery-back-up-in-interesting-way/

Solution

MLo

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Have you tried a hardware battery recalibration?

The battery calibration starts with the phone completely off. The steps are as follows: Charge the device for at least 10 minutes using the original charging cable in a wall outlet. With the device powered off while still plugged into the wall outlet, press and hold the volume up, volume down and power button for two full minutes. Use three fingers to hold these buttons and do not let go at any time. They will be held in at the same time for this to work. After two minutes, you can let go. At this point, the device should boot up and battery/charging logic will be re-calibrated.

routepass32

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014

routepass32

Estimable
Jun 26, 2014
Ive tried that battery calibration trash and it didn't work. @chotai I would like to change my battery also so if u or anybody has found a way to change it, can u inform me also? Thanx

ferrariguy2211

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
You would need to bring it to a store to be able to replace the battery, since the body is build around the screen. My battery is around one day/half day till it dies. Most likely, it is the cells are dying or dead in the phone, so the only way would to replace the battery. I might replace the phone so I can get something with replaceable battery or a long battery life.

jmcgregor4

Estimable
Sep 1, 2014
Just so you know If you're still having issues I have the as,e phone from vzw and same issue' the update to 4.4 Originally fixed it now its back to the same thing .... I don't have a solution but just so you know HTC encourages users to root device and your warranty is not void, if you found the fix please let me know thanks! Jeff

Acamars

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
I had the same issues. Battery would die after 4-5 hours. I scoured forums and did all the fixes but nothing worked.

I accidentally stumbled onto a fix for my problem. I am due for an upgrade for my phone (out of contract with ATT), but wasn't too keen on the phones out there - so long story short - did a cross upgrade for my husband to get a new phone and I got a new microsim (the new Softcard ones, with added security for apple pay etc).

Lo and behold my battery issue stopped! I can now go a full day without charging and still have about 60% at the end of the day! I did not change anything besides the sim card. Even when I am using the phone it would still hold the charge and not deplete like crazy! Can anyone figure put what happened? Did the update mess up the sim? Whatever it was, I am glad it worked out. I love my htc but the battery issue was seriously making me rethink the brand.

Good luck guys!

cmark

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
I didn't have as much luck with my phone. I also have the HTC one M7. About a month and a half ago the battery started draining (about 3% /hr when in standby). This w
seemed to coincide with the 4.4.2 update. Doing a factory reset didn't work. Taking it in and having AT&T reload the firmware didn't work. They replaced the phone with a refurbished phone and it had the same issue (+a broken camera). They replaced the phone again with another refurbished phone & updated the SIM card. Still having the same issue.
I unplugged my phone with a full charge at midnight and left it in standby. Now at 8am, it's at 70%. I've only used it for 10 minutes reading and posting to this forum. At this point I think it has to be a firmware issues.

Anyone have an idea of where I go from here?

DrkDeltron

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
I was having the same issue with mine. I flashed the new CM12 5.1 lollipop build from (TeamUB) using clockwork recovery and my phone is better than it ever was before with more customization as well.

siane

Estimable
May 4, 2015

how do we do this upgrade you mention please? Im having the same battery problems, and mines now got to a point where it dies, i put it on charge but it wont charge more than 1%. Long as i keep it plugged in i can use the phone, otherwise it dies in seconds...