Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I purchase an unlocked phone to use as an iPod Touch?

Last response: in Cell Phone General Discussion
April 5, 2014 12:15:56 PM

Am I able to purchase an unlocked smart phone from Amazon to just use without the phone/data services?
I heard you still need a SIM card to activate it though,
so would it be smarter to just buy an iPod Touch 5G or purchase a potentially cheaper smartphone.

Best solution

April 5, 2014 12:21:47 PM

There's no guarantee that a smartphone will be usable for anything without a SIM.
Safer in my opinion to buy a new iPod or a competing product with similar features (Apple stuff is way overpriced anyway).
April 5, 2014 3:12:25 PM

Phillip Corcoran said:
There's no guarantee that a smartphone will be usable for anything without a SIM.
Safer in my opinion to buy a new iPod or a competing product with similar features (Apple stuff is way overpriced anyway).

Thank you for the reply, so would something like this work?
http://www.hsn.com/products/motorola-moto-g-45-quad-cor...
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2014 4:22:06 PM

liljon0430 said:
Phillip Corcoran said:

Thank you for the reply, so would something like this work?
http://www.hsn.com/products/motorola-moto-g-45-quad-cor...

I actually own the moto g and it worked fine without a SIM card(although I have to say that I did not do much before buing a SIM)
m
l
April 20, 2014 4:28:29 PM

Not required you can use it and activate it without a sim card as long as you have a wifi.
m
l
April 21, 2014 1:56:30 AM

literally, the phone is used as Ipod Touch when it's locked. so there's no reason that it won't work when it's unlocked.
m
l
April 21, 2014 11:07:35 AM

Unless you have a need for a faster device, an ipod touch will do you just fine. Otherwise, most phones should work perfectly fine as is without a SIM card inserted. I ran my iphone 5s without a SIM for a week or two waiting for it to ship to me.
m
l
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter