unlock the last core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferx

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Got a asus M5A78L-M/USB3 to give new life to my old phenom II x4 840T . I had a partial success , I was able to unlock only one of two locked cores. If I tried to unlock the sixth core the bios stopped booting and gave me the options to load default settings or go to setup. That happened also if I disabled the 5th core and enable the 6th. Does anybody have an idea why? Thanks in advance.

noahhicks

Estimable
Mar 29, 2014
CPUs with locked cores are locked for a reason. Sometimes people get lucky and can unlock the cores without any difficulty and huzzah they have a better CPU for less money! Sometimes the locked cores are locked because they're damaged and wont work perfectly.

You appear to be in a situation where 5 cores work but 6 don't. Probably some part of the communication stream between those last 2 cores is broken, they work individually with the other 4, but not together.

Ferx

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014

Nope, my old mobo came with the cpu is an Alvorix (HP) it is child proof.
I do think the core may have something wrong. But every research I made about the cpu states that the cores are locked for commercial purpose only ( a defective is possible though ). If the extra core needs more voltage, setting auto in the bios should supply the right amount, right? Also cpuz detected a max TDP of 162w. my mobo can support only cpu up to 140w, can that be the reason of a failure?

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

The chips for the locked cores are chosen from lower bins that either can't be used or aren't good enough to be used as the higher end chips. It is essentially to allow AMD to sell chips that otherwise they would be forced to scrap for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.