I finally did it. I bought an alienware 14. (new guy here)

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
Hi. I have a little story to tell. I am fast becoming a PC gamer.
I am currently using an Asus G74sx 'Republic of Gamers' laptop. It performs well and runs most demanding games at medium to high settings. But there is one problem. It's too freaking huge and heavy to carry around. I've already had to have it repaired twice in the 3 years I've had it due to hard drive damage, I assume from traveling. There is no computer bag or carrying case to fit the 17.3 inch screen. I had to carry it onto airplanes bareback with nothing to protect it. I decided it's time to get something more portable and more manageable especially since I plan to do alot more traveling in the coming months.

I have always wanted an Alienware and I've always been despised by most of my colleagues for it (there are some exceptions). I understand the hate - too expensive, "mediocre" hardware, etc. "Build your own desktop/laptop for way cheaper and it's way better!!!!!1111oneonelolzdonuts1" Hearing that is like hearing a pop song on the radio over and over. Everyone loves it on repeat despite how completely terrible it is.

A couple of tidbits about myself.
-While I understand basic computer functions better than the average Joe, I'm not an expert on computer tech. It's not my field. I work in the medical field. I'm not Donatello from TMNT and I don't "do computers." Your mediocre could be outstanding for me.
-Price wasn't a concern.
-I don't know how to build my own laptops or desktops, and while everyone says I could get someone to do it for me, I don't know anyone who would take the time to do it. They say "build your own," I say "okay, how do I do that" and the response is "ummmm....cya"
-I like the light up keyboard. If you can tell me how to build my own laptop with customizable backlighting, then by all means - do tell.

Anyway, my alienware is so new I haven't even received it yet. From where I'm standing now, it was actually barely more expensive than my Asus, and I believe full and well it will not disappoint in the portability aspect (taking it on travel, I bring it to work every day as opposed to owning a tablet, etc). All that remains to be seen is how well it performs. So I guess with all this exposition my question is,

Did I make a mistake? If I'm OK with the price tag, the alleged mediocrity, and the gimmick of it all, then whats the big deal? Also, are there any outright glaring faults with alienware? I've heard they're noisy, which doesn't bother me, I have also heard the cooling is bad which could be a big issue (I only heard this after I purchased. It might have swayed me otherwise). I didn't have time to study and learn PC construction, so yeah.

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Well, it's gigantic and in my opinion not very attractive, but that doesn't make it bad for gaming. But you're right, there isn't a way to "build your own" laptop. There are some sites that allow customizations, but those are usually a bit overpriced. Have fun with the new laptop.

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
Well, it's gigantic and in my opinion not very attractive, but that doesn't make it bad for gaming.
which, the asus? if you are talking about the asus, then i agree 100%. I had not even heard of asus before i bought this laptop. i thought i was a generic offbrand :S

Thanks for the encouragement. L=

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I meant the Alienware's thickness. That's just my opinion though, if you like it then don't listen to me. Asus is actually a pretty big brand though, they make some of the best computers and computer components around.

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
The m14 is gigantic? I got it because it was the smallest they offered, aside from the m11 which is too small. As long as it fits into the backpack I got for it, then all is well on walton's mountain. And it can't be any worse than this behemoth I'm on right now.

About Asus, yes I realized that as soon as i got this computer. Asus sets the standard for not-to-be-f*cked-with. Aside from this dell purchase i will probably only buying from Asus from now on. Except this god-awful touchpad with it's jumpy pointer and inability to be disabled. it's a huge design failure. That's my ONE complaint.

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Yea, Windows laptops all have one thing in common. Their touchpads suck.

By gigantic, I mean its thickness, not its screen size. It would be a pain to carry around.

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
Okay. I understand what you're saying now. The 14 is 1.6 inches thick, while the G74sx at it's biggest area is 2.10 inches thick.

So if we're comparing the two systems by ratio of screen size/thickness, or by width/thickness, the alienware technically has the lousier scaling. However it is still 1/2 inch thinner and does not have the keypad for width. While still "sorta big," by the by it will be much more portable (if still not super portable).

It also weighs 1.5 kg less than the g74sx. I just now read that while discussing this with you and I am very pleased to find that information.

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Either one's definitely going to be a leave-at-your-desk laptop.

I just looked at the Asus you mentioned above, and damn that's a brick. Lol.

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
That's what I'm saying! It's a great laptop and performs well for what it is, but it's size is just too much. But it DOESN'T perform well enough to be my desktop. When it comes to finding a computer to live on my desk, the search continues...

Despite it being a "leave on the desktop" computer, I've lugged this monster around with me for 3 years. Carrying the smaller laptop I will probably feel like I'm on the moon or something.

the reason most people hate it is the added value of the brand name and the design plus I just plain don't like the design. the more aggressive members of the PC community may seem a bit OCD in that if you haven't got the best bang for your buck, or something is unecessary then they'll give you shit because in their eyes your decision was wrong. same with the ASUS, the ASUS never really fit into the "portable gaming" thing that gaming laptops are supposed to be.
whats the spec on the alienware

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
alienware 14" screen
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor
16GB RAM and GTX 765M
1 year of completecare
windows 7
-------
~1600$

My Asus was just under 1600$ but didn't come with any warranties or guarantees, as far as I know. I got it from Best Buy.

Asus g74sx 17.3" screen
i7-2670QM processor
8GB ram and Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M
Windows 7

Dr Page

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
This was unfortunate because I seem to remember a couple of years ago you could really get in there and customize these specs on these machines from dell. But then I didn't have the balls to make the purchase. Now, it seems they've taken all the options away and you're locked into whatever choices the interface lets you choose from. I had to open a live chat and just to get the better video card installed because it wouldn't let me choose it on the website.