Apple Making a Smartwatch? The iWatch Rumor Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I can picture it all now...

My smartwatch gives a notification so I immediately snap my arm up to read the life-changing info that will surely soon be revealed.

In doing so however, my elbow smacks into my girlfriends face resulting a black eye, at least, or a broken nose, but none the less the result is life-changing.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
The minute a watch does anything other than tell the time, it needs to be recharged a lot more often, making it more annoying than useful.

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I can see myself purchasing this type of product in the future (whether apple or android or both)... I foresee many benefits for the sport/training communities with all the apps that measure the abilities/faculties of the athlete/trainee... On a comical note: Anyone out there grow up to the show "johnny sokko and his flying robot" .... with SIRI activated on this item, we're one step closer....

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Of all the smart watches, this will be the one that sells. Apple products are still viewed as elite, so if they can come up with various designs / colors / bling, they're going to sell.

People will feel part of an exclusive club wearing these things and showing others they can drop their $300-$400 wads on something as frivolous as a watch that slaves to their phone.

Apple marketing is the best in the world. If they bring these to market, they will sell. If Apple doesn't bring these to market, it's because they've determined the idea of a smart watch won't be a big seller.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Let’s see, I could hold an iphone in my left hand, an ipad in the right, iglasses (probably secretly in R&D) and now an iwatch for my wrist. I think I would much prefer one court appointed ankle bracelet.

qlum

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Maybe apple is waiting this one out a bit, from what I know tech is not even there yet for a good smart watch as you'd either be running the low framerate of e-ink, or you end up with a device that can't display the time all the time because of power usage, I think as long as this problem remains and a smartwatch can't excel at its main function which will be displaying info I think it will never break through bigtime.

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Of all the smart watches, this will be the one that sells. Apple products are still viewed as elite, so if they can come up with various designs / colors / bling, they're going to sell. People will feel part of an exclusive club wearing these things and showing others they can drop their $300-$400 wads on something as frivolous as a watch that slaves to their phone.Apple marketing is the best in the world. If they bring these to market, they will sell. If Apple doesn't bring these to market, it's because they've determined the idea of a smart watch won't be a big seller.
Indeed...they never create the category, just produce an initially better, prettier, and profitable mousetrap.The first picture in the article "looks" like my concept of an iWatch. If they release a Nano-with-a-band, no matter the specs, it's a fail. I can spot an Apple product easily...that's what they want, always. Any iWatch will have that instant recognition or be counter to everything they've ever done.As for owning one....hard to say. I've worn watches off and on for almost 60 years. Quite honestly, I have NOT worn one since I got a cell phone with a clock on it. I have a slew of iDevices, including a 5S. ANY watch device would have to be compelling and a crapload better looking than anything to date.If it adds /enhances every day stuff, it might be worth a look. For instance, if the watch would link to Maps, etc. on the phone and vibrate when I was navigating on foot to keep me on course. I wouldn't have have to hold and look at the phone. Might be useful on vacation to look less like a tourist and SEE Paris instead of a moving icon on a phone.If said iWatch isn't somewhat amazing, it's a pass for me, at any price.

istudent16

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
Perhaps as odd as it sounds, after reading this article I speculate that since Apple is one of the most innovative companies that I know of, it probably won't go with the name 'iWatch'. My best guess for this is actually 'iTime', because although it's simple, which is something that Apple seems to like, it also sounds professional, unlike a name such as 'iTick'.

Status
Not open for further replies.