Replace DC socket

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hello(sorry about my english). I own a Fujitsu Siemens V5515 that has a problem in the DC socket. Doesnt recognize the charger. Assuming that the problem is on the socket, i took tle laptop to my usual computer shop,but the guy there asked me 80€ (about 100 dol) for the replacement of the socket. the laptop is old, was given to me already with malfuctions ,and if i can fix it, i can keep it for me. And i dont want to spend so much Money in the repair.
So, i decide to try fix it myself. Buy the tools, a multimeter, the socket at Ebay, and start working. Yesterday ,with patience and time, i dessassemble the laptop, tokk the old socket out, and solder the new one. With the multemeter, i check the continuity and voltages, and everything was fine. very happy. the i reassemble, put everything , power on, and Windows stars normal. But... passed 20 minutes, i look at the screen and the charger isnt recognize again. So frustrating. What happned? BAd solder?

Hi, what do you mean by the adapter is not recognized? Do you lose the power from the adapter, and the laptop is powered only by the battery. The problem is surely the adapter, some component inside is defective with heat.

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Yes, i loose power from the adapter and the laptop is only powered by the battery. But before i mad the repair i try a new power suply ,(generic, multi voltages) and the laptop loose power as well. And i try too to test the power suply with a multimeter right after plug out the power suply from the laptop,and the voltages where correct.

If the problem is not a bad contact from the adapter, it's the charging circuit inside the laptop who is the problem. You did eliminated the dc jack, the adapter, and you are left with the laptop itself causing the problem.

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I think, with time and patience, i´ll dessassemble it again and check everything,resolder the dc jack,or maybe buy another one, they are cheap. In the mean while, i already check for 2nd hand board at Ebay and found ate 30/35€,in that range. The lap top,despite being old, is in great shape,and runs W7 smoothly,this mal function only happened because a little daughter of a friend tripped in the power wire and the laptop fell off the ground.

You could also verify the traces from the jack on the motherboard. What you could do, when the laptop is on, move gently the plug in the jack, you will see if you have a crack on the motherboard around the jack. Or push on the motherboard around the jack.

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Well,by the time i replace the DC jack, i check the continuity, with power off,and voltages with power on. And it was ok. What is more strange, is when i made the first tests, the board was dead, no readings. But suddenly i had cooler fan spinning(that i plugged to have some visible signs of power,because this board doesn ´t have power leds in it) , and all correct reads in the multimeter.

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Progress . Yesterday i remove the back cover of the notebook, which is big and gives me access to the DC fuse door, as the door itself , so getting to do some testing voltage and continuity . Continuity on laptop , it's ok . Also on the fuse . But this time I tested another thing that had not been tested : as said above , I'm using a universal charger , those who have a removable plug that changes for each voltage / connector type . I pulled the plug, and the wire itself , I have the 20V . With the lead plugged in the charger , got the 20V . But if you do a continuity test on the plug itself , disconnected from the charger ( to understand better , the charger is this kind http://yhpower.en.ec21.com/Universal_Laptop_Charger_YH-4096_96W--4317705_4318130.html and the test is done playing with the tips of the multimeter and record another one at the rear tips, which connect to the wire ) have continuity at the negative pole , but do not have at the positive. I tried all other plugs and all the going in 2 poles . In short , I suspect that the problem is here , and that I disassembled the laptop and changed the socket for nothing . I put this hypothesis in part, because it was new chump change . When i get another charger , and test , then give feedback .

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Well, problem solved,or sort of. the problem,aparently was the jack of the power suply. I got a new one, and the laptop powered right away. But now i have another problem,that i dont know why is happening: it shuts down with no reason,right after windows stars. When i solved the problem,the laptop worked 10 min,but now just starts and shuts down. No error messages,and happens with or without batery, pluged or unpluged to power suply. the fan spins, i changed all termal past of the cpu and gpu.

ff1esta

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I think the problem is not hardware,such as batery or charger,because i put the laptop just in bios mode, and didnt shut down. And in Safe mode is in this moment working for about 45 min, with no problems. I think the problem is software. It instaled one windows update, one Adobe flash update and one Avast update.After this updates, it start the shut downs. I going to make sistem restore, to see if it solves the problem.