Smartwatch Buying Guide: 8 Things You Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
SmartWatches are a newer concept. I'll wait another year for manufacturers to catch up in app compatibility. Really, the purpose I'd like for it to serve me is for calling/texting and health purposes. When the reviews are out, response is good, price is right and the battery life is acceptable, I'm on board. Would be nice if a SmartWatch/SmartPhone combo came out and there was one charging station for both to minimize wires, or one wireless charging station for both.

D

Deleted member 1353997

Still sticking to my good old Swatch. Having to change batteries only once every couple of years is huge. I haven't changed its batteries for over 5 years now, and it's still ticking.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Josh. Thanks for your comment. You're not alone on waiting things out a bit to see which other devices surface. Based on rumors, it should be a very interesting back half of 2014.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I can't imagine getting a watch that you had to charge more than once a week, wasn't waterproof, and didn't leave the screen on all the time to facilitate actual glances and to allow others to see the face of the watch you've chosen. Really, it looks to me like buying anything but the Pebble Time Steel would be a complete waste of money.

Well, I really can't see the point of smartwatches at all, actually. Why would I want a little gizmo that is nothing more than an extension of my phone, and does nothing my phone doesn't do better?

I live outside the bubble of insanity that is the Silicon Valley/San Fransisco area, so nobody I know is interested in or would spend the money on a smartwatch.

bm2298

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
pebble has some nice attributes, but is the ugliest design on the planet
battery life is terrible for many, and I understand why, that needs improved
new Huawei sounds fantastic, yet a possible price of $1000 is just stupid, $300 dollars is a price I would have a difficult price to swallow as well

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Samsung has no say in Google's efforts to make smartphones as smart as Apple offerings. This flattery will simply create more fragmentation within an exceptionally fragmented Android marketplace. Any attempts to mimic Apple's technoecosystem is stupid; Apple designs, makes and codes for their entire product range. They not only have breadth of vision but depth, too. Samsung is merely a passenger riding 2nd class on a bandwagon.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Samsung has no say in Google's efforts to make smartphones as smart as Apple offerings. This flattery will simply create more fragmentation within an exceptionally fragmented Android marketplace. Any attempts to mimic Apple's technoecosystem is stupid; Apple designs, makes and codes for their entire product range. They not only have breadth of vision but depth, too. Samsung is merely a passenger riding 2nd class on a bandwagon.

That is almost the exact same post you made in the other Apple article.
Seems to me you are a paid Apple shill posting on forums.
Just so you know, I do not own anything Apple and never will. Why buy 2 year old hardware in a shiny new package that is marketed as innovative, when all they did was copy someone else?????

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ohh forgot to mention ,Apple does not make anything, they do not have any fabs, manufacturing plants etc....
All of their products are manufactured by the lowest bidder.

Status
Not open for further replies.