My Amd Phenom 555BE won't unlock with new mobo!

thesser89

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
I recently upgraded my motherboard from an MSI-g45 to a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD. Both had the ability to unlock hidden cores. My old mobo unlocked it just fine, but the new one won't. I played with CPU volt/mult/freq, cpu-nb volt/freq, and FSB freq, but nothing will give me a stable boot.

Solution
It was called advanced core calibration on the am2+ and am3 boards i havent seen it called that on any am3+ board and have seen the features on a crosshair V formula, asrock 970 extreme 3, gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 rev5, and asus m5a99fx but didnt try to unlock any cores as the only cpu i have that can be unlocked has no hidden unlockable cores probably a newer Phenom II x2 555 but it seems the options are there.

Well the AM3 Phenom II x2/x3/x4 and some Athlon II/x2 64 cpus were the only ones able to unlock extra cores as there is no hidden cores in the FX line. I would contact gigabyte about the boards problem as even though amd doesnt officially allow core unlocking as a feature the boards do and if its a problem its a manufacturer...

IDontUnderstand

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I'm not sure what you meant by unlock hidden cores, there are only 2 cores within that CPU no matter what settings you configure it with, because it only has two cores, physically.

Unlocked CPU means that you are capable of overclocking the processor to its full potential when paired up with an overclockable motherboard, which you do have. Therefore you were able to play with the CPU voltage/multiplier/frequency and others.

lazyboy947

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
The Phenom II and Athlon II cpus were based off of other cpu core from the same line such as dual and triple cores off the deneb quad core and some quad core off the six core thuban line and amd disabled cores to meet the demand for the lower core cpus or because they were not completely stable. The board needs acc or something core calibration to unlock cores if there there which sometimes they are not.

Now since u already unlocked the cores previously ud think they would work on a different board with the features. Did u attempt to update the bios of the new motherboard? Did u reset bios to defaults and go from there. So the option of core unlocking is on the new board and is set to manual or enable core unlock? if u cant get it on auto or something try manually enabling them

thesser89

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
The motherboard BIOS is up to date and I had previously unlocked the dual core to a quad core on the other MoBo. The new motherboard has a enable/disable option for unlocking cores but I see no core calibration options other than to select 1-2 processes per core. I have set everything to default to try and unlock it, then played with the core voltage (More cores require more voltage) as well as cpu-nb voltage and still nothing. I'm reading though that the new 990FX boards are having problems unlocking older CPU's like the one I have.

lazyboy947

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
It was called advanced core calibration on the am2+ and am3 boards i havent seen it called that on any am3+ board and have seen the features on a crosshair V formula, asrock 970 extreme 3, gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 rev5, and asus m5a99fx but didnt try to unlock any cores as the only cpu i have that can be unlocked has no hidden unlockable cores probably a newer Phenom II x2 555 but it seems the options are there.

Well the AM3 Phenom II x2/x3/x4 and some Athlon II/x2 64 cpus were the only ones able to unlock extra cores as there is no hidden cores in the FX line. I would contact gigabyte about the boards problem as even though amd doesnt officially allow core unlocking as a feature the boards do and if its a problem its a manufacturer problem,

if u really need the cores go back to the old board or get a newer cpu to use with the new board, pretty sure the fx 6300 is better than any x2 unlocked to an x4.

Solution

thesser89

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
The older MSI board that could unlock the cores had a Hyper Transport Sync Flood error that I couldn't resolve even when reverting back to stock settings and no core unlock. Just trying to get my 4 cores back again until I save up for upgrades, which include a new fx 8-core.

lazyboy947

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Well i dont know any fixes to am3+ boards not unlocking cores as i have not done it or seen it but i would say see what gigabyte can do for u, but most likely result in an RMA.