Roku Sticks It to Chromecast with $50 Streaming Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Just another streaming solution. Its sad it took them 2 years to make it, when they should have made this to begin with, and then by now, they should have HDMI passthrough.Swapping inputs is annoying as hell. Learn from what Xbox One does and passthrough your cable/satellite/gaming console through the stick, with a ui overlay. Then add voice commands a year later.

Citizen XVIII

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Pro's for Roku:Dedicated remote (if you prefer one)On-screen interfaceMore appsPros for Chromecast:Mobile device for remote (if you prefer that)Streaming is tied to mobile device, not ChromecastStream anything from Chrome browserI'll stick with the Chromecast. I have plenty of remotes to juggle, and I like being able to take my episode with me on my tablet when I leave the room, it's tied to my device, not to the Chromecast.

phrancis

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I recently gave away my Roku because I enjoyed Chromecast's ability to play Youtube and cast whole web pages to the TV. Ok, Roku had more channels, but most were pretty crappy. Chromecast had the same core "channels" that we all wanted and while it didn't have a remote, let's be honest, most of us are in front of the tube surfing on our phones and tablets anyways. Might as well use those devices to control what's on the tv...

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
There's a lot of bored people out there. Just take your tablet with as, I'm sure, that you already have one. Or, heck, your phone. Devices like this are just there to satisfy our need to mess around and throw money at something we already, pretty much, own.Muhh. Then again... If you're happy then fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.