My MSI GT70 gaming laptop will not turn on with either the power cord or battery. No signs of life inside the pc everything lo

GreenTheJoker

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
I want some ideas as to why it wont turn on with either power source. As a pc tech the inside of the pc is fine all parts are good paste is good. Fan is clean i am not sure what is wrong and for the first time am at a loss as to how to fix it.

GreenTheJoker

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

Problem is the pc just powered off out of no where then nothing would turn on if its the motherboard i am out 1900 dollars and its out of warranty. never seen a motherboard fail suddenly without cause

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Jarotech could be right, maybe the new adapter fried everything. Speaking of fried, maybe it overheated. There are many things that could cause it to fail. Maybe take it in to a repairer, just for diagnostics.

GreenTheJoker

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

the adapter is the one it came with. and when it shut off it was cool only been on for 30 minutes. i do not have money to take it in hence why i repair my own stuff. i know how to repair most issues but sadly i am stumped here if i had some direction to look i might be able to bring her back online

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Open 'er up and look for visible damage. If the fans are dead, the mobo may shut itself down to protect itself. Maybe one of the connectors from the battery to the system is dead. There's a million things that could go wrong. You should have gotten a Rasberry Pi and attached a battery and a little screen, for ~$120 doesn't matter if it dies.

GreenTheJoker

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

already opened it up and took it apart no visable issues at all

marshal11

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
Hi, I'm a little late. I too have a GT70. Unplug the battery and adapter for 30 seconds. This should solve the problem. If your PC boots up and then won't charge when you connect your AC adapter, unplug the AC adapter from the wall and let the capacitors discharge for about a minute. This should fix everything.

khermes

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014
i´ve had the exactly same issue. and i dont know where to start ive cheked everything and seems fine. Have u found a solution for the problem? becouse all that i read is that the motherboard

oldschooluser

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014
If its not turning on, it gets no power. So the adapter must be broken. Borrow an adapter from a friend or just buy a new one (they are not that expensive; maybe you can find a replica-version).

Enzo1903

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

Did you solve the problem, same problem occured My GT70 too last morning, suddenly shut down and after it's like dead, nothing works (battery and plug off, pushin' power button for 10 sec.s etc...)

Guy505050

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
any one solved this?
happened to me 10 min ago.... all is good been playing suddenly shutsdown and wont power up.

when i press the power button it lights up for split second and goes black again.... some times the leds to the left of the fan and keyboard and such also light up for split sec when power is pushed and its black...

any ideas?

Jim Lawrence

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

My MSI gt70 would just shut down without warning and I kept getting the low battery. The power adapter would show charging sometimes and sometimes not. I dis assembled and found that the center pin in the power plug on the motherboard had broken loose, bad solder I think. I delicately resoldered and now it works fine. Don't know if this applicable to you but it worked for me.

Ed Humes

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
I have a similar issue with a GE70-20E laptop. When I press the power button while it is off I get the amber light for a few seconds then it shuts down. If I press power again I get nothing at all...TOTALLY DEAD like you report.

If I pull the power cord out and the battery for 10-20 seconds I get to try again. Usually I get the same problem (power off after a few seconds before BIOS) and have to pull power/battery again. Eventually I get it to power on so I am okay as long as I do not shut down again.

I'm wondering about the power button or the connection to the mainboard.

Jim Lawrence

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

Jim Lawrence

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
My original post pasted below with an update---

My MSI gt70 would just shut down without warning and I kept getting the low battery. The power adapter would show charging sometimes and sometimes not. I dis assembled and found that the center pin in the power plug on the motherboard had broken loose, bad solder I think. I delicately resoldered and now it works fine. Don't know if this applicable to you but it worked for me.

Update---The solder job I did,did not hold up over time. I was forced to replace the power receptacle attached to the mother board. This was not an easy job as it required alot of heat, 2 solder guns, one on each side of the pc board to get the old pins hot enough to remove. The pwer connector was purchased for 8 dollars and requires about 2 hours to do the job and had to use a magnifier.

Not sure if this applies to anyone here but this is what solved my problem of intermitent power.

abdat60

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
I have a similar problem and am looking for a solution.

My problem is that I bought my MSI GT70 off of Craigslist and I checked everything is working fine. I get home, battery gets low, plug it in the wall and it dosent charge. I'm like $hit!

So Diagnostics are...
1-Plug in the wall charger and battery, turn on...nothing
2-Remove the battery, keep the wall charger.... nothing
3-Remove the wall charger use only battery, it turns on, for 3 min because the battery is empty.

So my conclusion is something is wrong with the wall charger or loose adapter or something.

I disassemble the laptop according to the following:

1-A picture illustration with detailed descriptions, very helpful to keep track of screws etc

2- Video step by step disassembly when the pictures aren't descriptive enough

I came to find the power adapter where it accepts the electricity from the wall to the motherboard fried a pin on the motherboard, one of the adapters pins. I hope I can simply swap out the adapter and call it a day or even beret just solder it back on like Jim Lawrence did. I have a simple soldering iron and I think I can get it done. But I want to know what caused the problem so I don't break the laptop after I hopefully fix it. Maybe someone connected the wrong power adapter and gave it too many volts? Maybe it simply overheated (I doubt it)?

I hope that I don't have to change the motherboard because a new one will cost me $450 on eBay.
Can I get some help? Advice? Anything! This is the first time I disassemble a laptop to the core. I am tech savvy but definitely a rookie.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d93zut2s7i3geh2/5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/41z0j8a23rg1spe/4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmsb148l7189ddz/3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrxwv91wi21g4wo/2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfp8cr1c13h895c/1.jpg?dl=0

Jim Lawrence

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
This is exactly what happened to my computer just not as severe. I first cut one side of the metal at the mother board and bent the outside cover up so I could access the rest of the pins. I carefully cut away the rest of the power adapter and left as much of the pins exposed as I could.

I found the solder to be a hgh temperature solder and it too alot of heat and time to melt enough to desolder. I had to use a solder gun on both sides of the board at the same time. I have a 140 watt weller and I also have a small butane powered gun and it took over a minute on each solder joint. Once each joint melted I pushed the leftover pin out as far as I could using the solder gun tip then grasped it with a small needle nose and pulled it the rest of the way out.

Not having any solder wick or a vacuum desolder tool I then used a 1.16th drill bit in my dremel tool to clean out the holes in the PC board. The power adapters are readily available on Ebay and Amazon. There are many available so make sure you pick the proper one.

Putting back on was much easier than removing. I made sure it fit flat against the circuit board and then resoldered. Still took some heat to get the solder to flow properly. I hope this helps. My computer has been running fine since and that was about 2 months ago.

I would get some desolder wick and a fine pointed solder tip. I forgot to mention that I had to use some magnifying glasses as well. It makes the job much easier.

abdat60

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Thans Jim Lawrence for the quick response. I just happen to have a butane soldering gun, I bought it as a glorified lighter, but I think I can find the tip that transforms it to a soldering gun. You think I have to buy a new power adapter from eBay? Cant I just use this one? I guess a will need a volt meter to figure that out, I think my father has one I can borrow.

But I am still wondering what caused the burn on the board. Is it a short or an overheat? Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to do the same thing to it. I will attach an image of the power supply, can you let me know if it is the original one or did the guy give me a knock off?

Man looking at this laptop in pieces is both thrilling as well as nerve wrecking, because I have a history of taking stuff apart and not knowing how to put them back together, or having a handful of extra screws or or or... Im a bit nervous but, I followed the diagram to the T and will reverse my steps one by one. I also have different bowls for screws so I can go backward and not use the wrong screws for the wrong socket.

Image:
1- https://www.dropbox.com/s/b302qzhh5z5gm4x/20141227_132709.jpg?dl=0
2- https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8rvdwyhrylt5yj/20141227_132720.jpg?dl=0
3- https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8rvdwyhrylt5yj/20141227_132720.jpg?dl=0
4- https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfute7ubrzwpng6/20141227_132905.jpg?dl=0
5- https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckscsqqz66uj8vw/20141227_133646.jpg?dl=0