Feb 24, 2014
Short Version

This Screen for Laptop
Or
Laptop 2
Or
Laptop 3

Long Version
So my GF decided it was a good idea to break her screen (accidentally) on the laptop I got her a few years back. So I'm letting her use mine for awhile which is annnnnnnnnoying while I'm at work. (I work at as a computer labs admin currently so lots of free time waiting for someone to ***** up something then I say have you tried turning off and on) But yeah choice is buy a $100 screen from random Chinese dude on eBay or $50 from random Chinese website on Google. That said I could also buy a cheap laptop as I'm quitting this job in a couple months to move for graduate school.

Here's what I have Amazon - Laptop Random Chinese company Chinese Screen

I've replaced a screen or two during my time so getting it done isn't the issue. Just the price The laptop was ~ $500 new. So after all is said and done it's about 1/5th the cost of the computer was original just seems silly so was thinking about getting a new laptop. Since I'm quitting my cushy job where I can game and watch netflix and going to a place where my only gaming will be done at home which I have a decent desktop for enters the idea of a "work" laptop. Mind you I still want to be able to play civ or some other time waster games (casual) when I don't want to study.

I found these two on sale at Office Depot

Asus-X551ma - Amazon for $249.99

Hp-Touchsmart-11 - Amazon for $329.99

Whats everyone's opinions of them?

I've never ran intel hd (or any not dedicated card) or any amd videocards/processors. So I'm leaning towards the Asus even though I like the size of the HP. I'm an intel fanboy what can I say? lol but I'm willing to be converted.

Do you think I'll notice any huge difference in either of these laptops vs my old one when it comes to gaming? Do you have any other suggestion of current good deals on laptops (preferences listed below)?

If I had to say what was important to me in a laptop is 500 gb hdd (min), thin, and lightweight but I still want to be able to run those simple games like civ, starcraft 2, and casual games plus maybe like old republic or whatever mmo of the day. Which really shouldn't be an issue for any graphics card. Decent battery life is nice but not required. I can always plug in somewhere or buy a spare battery. As for price range really sky is the limit but I see no reason to pay too much since I won't get to use it for gaming or anything serious hardly ever (only when going home to visit folks or traveling) plus the old one which is only ~$100 to fix still runs everything fine so why pay a ton for a super fancy laptop?

Uhhh I'll update if I think of anything else but I think that's pretty much it.

Oh and I don't care if its on min or max graphic settings medium is nice but I can survive a night or two with only low settings if required lol.

EDIT: Someone recommended HP Pavilion 11-e015nr to me

Those two laptops will be a lot slower than the i3 based one your have now. I'd go with replacing the screen.

Any laptop for under $400 is only good for basic web browsing and documents, some will even struggle with playing HD movies.