iPAQ 3955 Sync Prob during Soft Reset

Lotus100

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
Please forgive the choice of this category, but it seemed to be the most appropriate to place the following concern.

The following was sent to an Ebay seller: web_bargain_seller
Re: Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade for hp Compaq iPAQ 3950 3955 PDA

Hello, fortunately just before what I am about to tell you, I completed a backup of my iPAQ 3955 to a storage card and the device itself. Now I don't recall how I got to the next point, but my iPAQ asked me to do a soft reset. During this process, my iPAQ was syncing through items. When it got to syncing contacts, it only did so up until 87% before it became frozen. I am wondering if this is due to a corrupt CE program in my iPAQ?

The syncing process is working up until the point that it freezes (as described above). This tells me that the hardware must be working; otherwise the syncing process would not work at all. So, I have to rule out the hardware being at fault.

This tells me one of two things:
1. Either there is a bug in the ROM of my iPAQ, which means it must be replaced. Or
2. I did something when entering my contacts in my iPAQ.

I wonder if your product will solve my problem? Can you help me solve this problem?

Tom's Hardware: Can you offer some kind of assistance here? Hp has discontinued support for this product. It just doesn't make sense to me that this problem cannot be resolved. The unit was purchased in April '03. Yes, I realize it is ten years old. But it still works. Why I've got this syncing problem is beyond my understanding. Thank you for any support you can offer.

Sat 1 Feb 14 Time now: 7:40am EST

I had an idea that perhaps my problem was due to the storage SD card that I have been using to hold my iPAQ backups. Since the storage SD card has been used many times, I felt it may be better to do a backup to a new SD card. Well, I just performed a backup to a new SD card. Then I did a restore from the new SD card. After the restore was done, the iPAQ asked me to do a soft reset. I did the soft reset again, but it still gets stuck at 87% while syncing my Contacts. So, in effect, this attempt to use a new SD card to store my iPAQ backup has failed to solve this problem.

If the iPAQ hardware seems to be working and if the attempt to use a different SD card to store my iPAQ backup doesn't solve this problem then what else can be causing this problem?

Today is: Thurs 6 Feb 14 Time now: 8;50am EST

Firstly, Nobody has replied to this post to date and time. Why? I don't know. For I've come to depend on this fabulous site for various tech support things from time to time.

In any event, let me provide my own update on things I've done to date.
1. Fortunately I've received some correspondence with a rep from web_bargain_seller.
2. The rep says I'm using Pocket PC 2002 in my iPAQ 3955. That must be the OS. The rep also says, if the OS is currently corrupted their Upgrade program should fix it. The rep continues to say: "However - if your device is faulty then it may become unrecoverable."
3. The rep feels their Upgrade program will work in my iPAQ 3955, and it will upgrade it to Windows Mobile 2003.
4. I have tested whether my computer will recognize my iPAQ 3955 when I connect it to my notebook computer. I used the iPAQ cradle (Which I have never really used over the years, so it is practically brand new.) to plug it into my USB port on my notebook computer. I then saddled the iPAQ in the cradle. However, my notebook computer doesn't recognize the iPAQ, for example, as a Drive (x). This tells me that even if I was to purchase the Upgrade that I will not be able to download it from my notebook computer onto the iPAQ 3955. So, purchasing the Upgrade doesn't make sense at this point. Apparently the iPAQ 3955 has some kind of hardware problem. And I'm deciding whether its worth fixing at this point, since the cost of repairs can add up making the purchase of some kind of newer tablet device a better use of my funds.

As a secondary problem:
I have to get my data off the iPAQ 3955.
This should be a relatively easy process, since I've regularly backed up my iPAQ 3955 to an SD Card. However, I've discovered that the backup uses a file extension .PBF. This stands for Paragon Backup File according to my research. Now, I am extremely peeved about this because I need another program to read the PBF file. And that is rather costly. Unless there's something out there which is both free to use and is unknown to me at this point. I am very annoyed about all this. Why? because all this time, I'm thinking I'm doing the right thing by regularly backing up my iPAQ 3955 to an SD Card. I should be able to put my SD Card into a Multi Card Reader, which is connected to my notebook PC via the USB port, and read the data on the SD Card. I cannot read my Contacts on the SD Card. And I've totaled the approximate number of Contacts on my iPAQ 3955 to be 375. I can see my Calendar data on my iPAQ 3955, so retrieving it will take time, but it shouldn't take to long to do so. What peeves me about this nonsense is that the original company Compaq had their customers thinking that backing up to an SD Card is a good idea. And that if needed the SD Card can be easily read. This is a bunch of BS. The cost of a program to read the PBF file can be close to $100; this is to the best of my current research. More research on this is necessary.

I really wish, I can get one of the expert tech reps from Tom's Hardware helping me with this problem. Nobody to date has chimed in on this situation. I've been doing what I can on my own.

Fortunately, I can get my data off the iPAQ 3955 manually. But this will be a big hassle. It seems best to get all the data off my iPAQ 3955 before I bring my iPAQ 3955 in for service and before I make a purchase the Upgrade (discussed above).

Needless to say, I found a site that has the various parts for my iPAQ 3955.
The parts are available at this site: http://www.repairhppda.com/select-ipaq-models-compaq-h3800h3900-series-c-45_97.html?language=en
And as you can see the cost of most of these parts are inexpensive. Which makes repairing the device myself worth the effort. If I only knew how to do this. I don't even know how to open the case on the device. Darn it, why are things so difficult!

IN A NUTSHELL THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE FOR ME, A GREAT LOSS OF MY TIME, AND I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN MAKING A TURTLES PROGRESS ON GETTING TO THE FINISH LINE AND EITHER FIXING THIS iPAQ 3955 OR DUMPING IT AND REMOVING ALL MY DATA FROM IT BEFORE HAND. AGAIN, GETTING THE DATA OFF MY SD CARD IS ANOTHER CHALLENGE. WHAT A HASSLE.

ANY HELPFUL ASSISTANCE WILL BE APPRECIATED HERE. THANK YOU.

Lotus100

Honorable
Feb 12, 2012
I am the original poster of this problem. My efforts elsewhere finally led me to Sprite-Explorer. I was getting confident that this was the answer that I was looking for in order to read the backup file that this company's software created. However, they finally revealed that they no longer support the prior version of their software that was used to create the backup file. They also said they have no tools to read the periodic backup file on my SD Card. So this problem is a total loss. And the only way to resolve this problem is to do so manually. It is sad that companies can get away with this situation and choose to discontinue support of a hardware or a software product.