Dell laptop with multiple issues

Fastmerc

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help with this. This is a Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop. Ok starting at the begining, my friend owns a store that sells multiple types of items. This laptop was sold from his store new but was repossessed for nonpayment. When they got it back the screen was broken and the prior purchaser had "forgotten" his windows 7 password. They were going to trash it so my friend just gave it to me, I hate to waste something that might be salvaged, I also like to tinker.

Anyway, when I first brought it home I was able to hook it up via hdmi to my tv. I then went to work on trying to bypass the password. I don't recall exactly what happened, but for some reason I removed the battery and when I went to plug it back in the computer shut down completely. It would not restart at all. I set it aside for a few months. I decided today to pull it out and mess with it again. I plugged it in and it decided to turn on, but now it seems it wont make it far enough into the boot process to let the hdmi or vga output function, so I can't see where it is stuck.

It does not seem to be accessing the harddrive as the little hard drive lights on the front don't blink as the normally would. I removed the hard drive and hooked it up as a slave to one of my servers and it was detected and I was able to access data folders and such, so the hard drive seems to be functional.

Any ideas of what to do from here short of getting a repacement screen, I really don't want to replace the screen till I can get the rest sorted out.

Thanks in advance

Fastmerc

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003

bump....I would still love some help on this one.