Looking To Buy A Tablet, would love some advice

airken

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Answer these questions and we will help you pick out the ideal tablet.

1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet? Yes

2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? i'm open

3. What screen size do you have in mind? And your preferred resolution (not required but helps)? 8"/ 1600 x 1200

4. Preferred Brand(s) - (ex. Microsoft, Samsung, Asus, Apple) Open

5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) (ex. Hannspree, Acer, etc.) not sure

6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet? would love to keep it under $400

7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only? don't want to add cost of data service. heard about 2years free 3g somewhere but can't recall where. that would be awsome, but happy with wifi alone.

8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month?

9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement? that would be awesome too, but not a deal breaker.

10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet? i love the stylus option of the note 8 and slate 7, really want the resolution of the slate 8, want to watch vids so really like the sd card option. i'm open to learning new aps.
thanks for the help

I do not believe there are any tablets with 1600x1200 resolution which is a 4:3 aspect ratio format.

Apple's iPads are 4:3 aspect ratio tablets; but they are either 1024x768 or 2048x1536 resolution.

Android and Windows 8 tablets are either 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio. For example, the 2012 Nexus 7 and the Dell Venue Pro 8 both have resolutions of 1280x800 which is 16:10 aspect ratio. On the other hand, the 2013 Nexus 7 and the recently announced ThinkPad 8 Windows 8.1 tablet both have 1920x1080 resolution screens which is 16:9 aspect ratio.

To figure out which aspect ratio you like better you should simply walk into a store like BestBuy and try out different tablets. You can also get a feel for the operating system as well. Windows 8.1 tablets are pretty easy, they have the same operating system as most currently sold laptops... Windows 8.1. Love it, hate it, or don't care.

If you want a tablet to be a "full laptop replacement", then perhaps a Windows 8.1 tablet will do since it uses the full OS. However, you are limited to the 32-bit version and they only have 2GB of RAM. To be a true desktop replacement it would need a 64-bit OS and at least 4GB of RAM. 8GB would be better.