Sony Vaio VGN-CR19XN/B HDD + RAM Upgrade Info!

human83

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Hey there!
I'm really sorry to bother this community with questions dictated basically by my ignorance in this matter, but I'm in need of some technical certainties before buying something which would probably turn out to be incompatible or unusable on my laptop. Please, be patient with me and enlighten me with your authoritative knowledge! :)
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR19XN/B (I know, it's damn old!) but it has been my faithful fellow since the last ice age, and, after careful consideration about my lack of funds for buying a new laptop and the sentimental value that is vested in this machine, I came up with the idea of giving my old friend a brand new life. Specifically, I am willing to upgrade its HDD to an hybrid SSD-HDD and its RAM from 4 to 8 or 16 GB. I'm even pondering about changing the CPU (but this is probably a no).
Here are some specifications for your evaluation:

CPU: Intel Mobile Core2 Duo T7100
Socket P (478)
RAM: DDR2 PC2-5300 Dual Channel
Motherboard: Intel GM965
Bios: Phoenix R0220Q0

Questions:

1) Is my laptop capable of supporting an hybrid SSD-HDD device like the Western Digital Black 2 Dual Drive (WD1001X06XDTL, SATA 6 Gb/s)? I don't mind if the drive would underperform with such a configuration, I'm just wondering whether it would be compatible or not. I suppose my machine has a SATA II (3 Gb/s) attachment standard.

2) In the case of such an upgrade, would I be able to install the OS on the SSD (speeding up the boot times) while keeping other programs on the HDD? Is there something I should do with the Firmware or BIOS in order for that to work?

3) Can that motherboard be equipped with 8 GB or even 16 GB of RAM? If the answer is negative, can you please explain me why it is so? I can't figure out why it could not work! (as I told you, I'm pretty ignorant about computer science.) Is there any trick to work around the problem?

Thank you in advance for your patience and for any help you will be so kind to give me.
I apologize again for my poor culture on this matter. I remain at your disposal for any further information you should need.

m.

P.S. Please, forgive me for my rudimental English. I'm doing my best :)

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
First, if you are willing to spend $400ish on a hybrid like the one you listed I would much rather have you buy a new laptop (but its your call)

1) Sata is backwards compatible so it should work on your laptop which has a sata 150, of course the speeds might differ

2) That drive comes with software that allows you to install OS on SSD and use HDD as storage, so no BIOS update should be needed

3) The max amount of RAM your motherboard can take it is 4GB of PC2-5300 (honestly unless you are gaming or doing some serious about of multitasking or programming work you dont really need more than 4GB)

Having said all that, upgrading the RAM will give you a noticeable jump, the prices Ive been seeing with the hybrid drive I wouldnt buy it but if you truly want to keep this laptop and upgrade it, why not make it your do it yourself project and try to upgrade whatever you can. Like the CPU as well, going from the T7100 to an T9600 or T9800, see if that works if it does you should notice a good jump in performance