Which is more important? ms or hz

Generally speaking, with everything else being equal, which would be better?

• 6.5ms and 60hz

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8ms and 120hz

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I'm looking at two 50" HDTVs. I won't use brands because I don't want fanboys or brand bashing...

Generally speaking, with everything else being equal, which would be better?

TV A: 6.5ms and 60hz
TV B: 8ms and 120hz

Konnefke

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
B, the 120hz is the refresh rate of your screen. if you are gaming you want to get the highest FPS (refresh rate) possible. if you're not gaming 60hz is just fine

@konnefke

you do realize that 120hz televisions still only have a 60hz input right? you also realize that having 120hz means that it fakes in the extra frames so can actually induce lag when gaming on that mode right? this is why tvs have game mode (or 60hz mode).

@lerauntin
without knowing what the op needs/wants the tv for its impossible to say for sure. quite a few people end up disabling 120hz since it leads to soap opera effect.

@op
what are you going to be using the tv for? for gaming, watching movies or other tasks a 60hz screen is going to be better off in most cases. 120hz may be better for sports due to the motion however most people turn it off for everything else due to the soap opera effect which makes movies look plasticy/fake. some people actually like it but personally my whole family and most people i know ended up disabling it because its fake looking. we dont watch sports so perhaps that has something to do with it as well.

also if connecting up to pc or video games you want at a bare minimum 60hz game mode. personally i suggest just getting a 60hz tv, but if thats not possible then a 120hz with game mode will work (though certain models dont have a properly functioning game mode or limit it to a certain port which can cause issues!)

you mentioned no brand bashing however some brands are most certainly better than others. for instance a vizio or olevia isnt in the same class as samsung or sony.

ultimately what works best for you depends on your needs/wants and why you are buying the tv.

TRENDING THREADS