Windows 8 Tablet

hudson1984

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
I'm looking for a new laptop/tablet.

being as my needs are quite minimal, I wondered if I would be better suited to a tablet.

Can someone suggest a tablet that can:

1/ Run on a normal operating system (windows 8 for example, no android please)

2/ Have either full keyboard (qwerty not num pad) or at least allow for a bluetooth one

3/ Have the ability to run the full Microsoft Office suite, I give powerpoint presentations for work so if this is to replace my current work laptop it needs to do the job.

4/ Allow me to play online games such as "goodgame empire"

As you can see, my needs are pretty basic so I don't see the point of having a heavy laptop when I can benefit from a higher end tablet - or convertable tablet.

any tips would be fantastic

If you are looking for an inexpensive Win 8 tablet, then you will likely be disappointed due to the limitations of 2GB of RAM and Windows 8 32-bit OS on devices like the $300 8" Windows 8.1 tablets. They include the Dell Venue 8 Pro, Lenovo Miix 8 and Toshiba Encore. There are larger devices like the approximately $500 10.1" Asus Transformer Book T100 with a detachable keyboard, but they are also limited by 2GB of RAM and a 32-bit version of Windows 8.1. I know the 8" tablets come with MS Office 2013 Student edition for free. Not sure about the Asus.

The above mentioned devices uses the Bay Trail generation Atom CPU. While the performance is basically 2x better than the prior generation Clover Trail Atom CPU, it is nowhere close to the performance of a Haswell generation Core i3 CPU.

A viable option could be a 10.6" MS Surface Pro 2 which starts at $900 which has a Core i5 CPU and sports 4GB or 8GB of RAM. Solid state storage consists of 64GB, 128GB or 256GB.

The best option for your needs however is likely a convertible laptop. But this can also be the most expensive option. There's the 13.3" Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro starting at $950 or the 12.5" Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga at $1,299. The 13.3" Sony VAIO Flip starting at $1,100 and the 13.3" Song VAIO Duo 13 which starts at $1,200. The Flip and Duo are somewhat related, both are considered convertible laptops. The Flip is more of a laptop (similar to the Yoga) in its design. The Duo is more like a tablet because the screen always exposed.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
I just got a Dell Venue 8 Pro for Christmas and this thing is amazing. It can pretty much do anything that your normal PC can do save for playing a few games. The only thing I don't like about it is the limited storage and running stuff of an SD card can be painfully slow.

I would avoid the Acer with the AMD A4-1250 1.0GHz APU which is use a dual core Kabini APU that is built on AMD's Jaguar architecture. I have read multiple complaints that Kabini it is sluggish.

The Asus has a Celeron 1007U CPU which at least based on the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge CPU core. It is a cut down version of a Ivy Bridge generation CPU, but nevertheless is it based on a CPU meant for laptops to begin with. It is not going to give you a high level of performance. But it will be better than that of AMD's Kabini APU. Assuming the same clockspeed, I would expect the cut down Celeron CPU to provide at least 20% better performance.