GPS chip in smartphones

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
What kind of GPS chip do smartphones typically use (Iphones or Samsung Galaxies for example) and how much would that chip alone cost? Also, would you be able to purchase and use that chip, with a battery, as a stand alone gps chip? Thanks.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Ok thanks, so say I bought this one: http://shop-america.u-blox.com/abashop?s=274&p=hierarchyoutline&hi=100.00&hl=3. And then assume you stuck that chip on something, like your computer or bike or something. Does it need anything else to work? Like a battery (I can't tell if it has one built in) or a program to view the results or anything else? I would imagine that it has to be hooked to some kind of power source if it is not already and it would need some kind of computer software to view the results. Also, is there a monthly fee for GPS access? Take my phone, the Galaxy S3. Does ~$100 really go for the gps chip alone? That seems high. I wonder if I could use a chip like what is in my phone, it has to be small and low power consuming... right?

Interas

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

There Is no monthly cost. However, software is required to make them work. Google search "Install Gps Chip" or "Make your own gps reciever"
That is about all I know. If this was helpful, please select as best answer, if you have any more questions, just post.