Best widgets/customisations for new Android user

geniusgizmo1

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hi, Im a new android user. Can someone suggest good widgets/customisations for android which I may find useful. I use the normal array of social apps, spotify, youtube, whatsapp etc etc.

What benefits will rooting the phone bring?

Thanks

Solution
First off, welcome to the magical world of Android! :D
Second, happy new year!

Third, what is your phone? Different phones come with different widgets and apps preloaded.
UCCW is a great tool for both creating your own widgets as well as downloading beautiful templates from Play Store.
If you need weather info, there's also UCCW and Accuweather, HD widgets and many others (you can just search for Weather widget in PS).
Basically, if you want something specific, you just search for it.
(I don't like widgets since they use lots of battery and create wakelocks.)

If you'd like a fresh look, custom launchers are a great choice (Apex and Nova are nice, though there are tons out there).

Rooting the phone will allow you access to your...

someone755

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
First off, welcome to the magical world of Android! :D
Second, happy new year!

Third, what is your phone? Different phones come with different widgets and apps preloaded.
UCCW is a great tool for both creating your own widgets as well as downloading beautiful templates from Play Store.
If you need weather info, there's also UCCW and Accuweather, HD widgets and many others (you can just search for Weather widget in PS).
Basically, if you want something specific, you just search for it.
(I don't like widgets since they use lots of battery and create wakelocks.)

If you'd like a fresh look, custom launchers are a great choice (Apex and Nova are nice, though there are tons out there).

Rooting the phone will allow you access to your /system partition. In layman terms, you can uninstall preloaded apps, make various optimizations, do advanced backups and more (CPU UC and governor change). (Also hacks in some games with a special app ;))

If you really want a new look, you can flash a custom ROM. Cyanogenmod is really popular, though Paranoid Android is good if your phone's screen is big (Note 3, and really anything over 5 inches). There's also MIUI and various variances of your stock ROM.

If you want to improve performance, you can flash a custom kernel. Those usually bring optimizations and CPU and GPU overclock, all of which boosts everything (you can also save power by underclocking and undervolting).

XDA in general is a great source of info as well.

Solution

geniusgizmo1

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Happy new year to you! Thank you this is VERY useful! I have the Moto G phone. I am a long time ios user so trying to find my feet still. Didnt realise I could change so much lol, brilliant, looks like ill have a new hobby in 2014

someone755

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Nice phone there, the Moto G.
Nice to hear Motorola bringing in some iOS users :p

Don't worry, you get used to it pretty fast. Came from Nokia's Symbian myself, but the personalization options are so huge you'll probably want to explore all the time xP

If you don't have anymore questions, could you please select a best answer? :3