Is the Nexus 7 2012 any good now?

Li4m59

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
So i'm currently looking for a cheap tablet, around £100-£130. I saw the nexus 7 2012 is fairly cheap now and I wondered whether its still good.

I would like a tablet for web browsing and 2d games. If not what are some other cheap tablets?

The original Nexus 7 is still good. I use mine for surfing a bit from time to time and even answering a few posts in the forum from once in a while. However, I don't really like using it to type messages because I am simply used to using a desktop or a laptop to do so. It's similar to surfing on a smartphone, only with a bigger screen. So if you like surfing with your smartphone, then you should have no issues with a tablet.

2D games have pretty low requirements so it should not be an issue. I play Pinball Arcade with it and there's no issue. I also play FreeCiv which is based on the old Sid Meier's Civilization II PC game. It's also fine for reading ebooks and watching movies.

I don't plan on replacing it for at least another year with a Windows tablet since it can use that for productivity purposes on top of general purposes.

drifter77

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Depending on what you'll use it for. I owned the Nexus 7 (2012) for a year before selling it to get the new iPad Mini Retina. The N7 is a solid tablet but after a while performance is not that smooth. It's good for browsing, reading, a few games that don't hog the CPU performance as heavy games will lag on it. Battery life is good but bear in mind that Android comes with background sync, apps that open in the background without being needed, so it drains your battery life as you go.

If you get a Nexus 7, root it and install Greenify, a great app that freezes background applications until you re-open them. If you want to pay a little more, get the Nexus 7 FHD (2013), more CPU power, LTE and better ecosystem.