Packard-Bell Shuts Down after 0.5 sec

BlackDragon038

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Hello,

I've got a Packard-Bell Easynote TS11HR. Almost a month ago my laptop was working fine. Then after a while I started to recieve BSoD's. It was not really big at first, but later I became really annoying. I got BSoD's constantly. Later the laptop started to shut off, just by it self. I assume this was becase of the games I have been playing. The laptop still worked. Now yesterday it shut off again and after that it didn't start. Now you may think that this is an overheating issue and maybe you are right, but here is the problem. When I press the power button the laptop starts for 0.5 seconds and then shuts off. The fans do not spin. The lights turn on and turn off at the same time. The screen is just black. Could this mean a dead GPU or CPU? Maybe it is the motherboard? I also want to point out that I have been trying to keep the computer very cool. The CPU and GPU temps were about 39-50C. I have been mostly playing games.

Thank you!

CPU: Intel Core i3-2310M
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Motherboard: HM65

Definitely sounds like a dead component. HM65 is the chipset of your motherboard, not the board model (but regardless, you did well to post your make + model and specs).

You can try this: remove the battery and AC adapter, press + hold the power button for 4 - 5 seconds, then insert battery and adapter and try booting. If the problem is failed hardware, this won't fix anything, but if the issue is something less severe, this may get you up and running (though it won't fix the BSODs).

The best way to troubleshoot is to swap one component at a time and test.

BlackDragon038

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Thanks for the answer, I have already tried that. Removing the battery and holding for 30 seconds and then putting it back again. Did not resolve the problem. I will try to swap/remove one component at a time and check. I have already tried to swap RAM, but still no change. What do you think this could be? Bad AC adapter or a fried component?
Thanks!

If you can't boot off the battery and its charged, then it's most likely not the adapter. Usually if there is no power, you get no response - not even lights.

Since you get no beep codes, I would venture to say it's your motherboard. Graphics chips tend to be problem children as well, so there's a possibility the symptoms are from a dead dGPU, especially if your system does not rely on Optimus (meaning it uses the dGPU exclusively for everything).

BlackDragon038

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Well, while the computer was working it did change from Intel HD Graphics to the dedicated GPU when it was necessary. Optimus did work. This is probably the weirdest computer I've ever had. Oh and I forgot to mention, that the touchpad was getting REALLY hot when I was playing a game, not matter what game it was really warm. Maybe because of the touchpad my GPU died? Who knows.

G

Sounds like your motherboard is failing to load BIOS. Could be something as simple as a cracked solder joint from heat stressing. Bake at 385 for 5 minutes.

You mentioned your temps were within 39 C - 50 C, which is perfectly safe. My guess is the motherboard has failed, though it could very well be the CPU as well. Unfortunately there's no simple way for you to determine that, apart from swapping out a component with a known working one and then attempting to boot the laptop; basically process of elimination.

William3764

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
unscrew the sensor bar above keyboard there are 2 screws under battery lift sensor bar out and replace cable if you dont have a cable just pull it out from motherboard end and laptop will be as normal

William_208

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017