Computer Sounds Give Up Secret Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
When computers are at work, the vibrations in their various components create noise, though usually that noise is too quiet or too high-pitched for the human ear to distinguish.

An attacker could send the target an email with a few specially crafted lines of text, which would make the program emit the necessary sound.

These are two different things, I suggest you do a little more research and a little less sensationalism. This also falls along the lines of "No Shit", If you decrypt something and encode the data as sound you can get the key via normal cryptanalysis.

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
This shouldnt be too much of a problem. Maybe would affect workplaces with numerous people but that's pretty much it.

ldubrov

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
This type of attack would not work in a real world setting. It requires a computer to be in a quite environment without interference from external audio (i.e. user typing on keyboard) or internal interference (a secondary program using the CPU) for about an hour. It would be far more realistic to have the computer stolen. Still, its fairly clever to use the macro components of a machine (capacitors, inductors) to ascertain what the CPU is approximately doing.

yvyv

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
TriedandTrue: you should focus on getting your facts and info straight, and stop writing stupid comments which are crimes against intelligence.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

WRONG!!! The NSA implanted a device that makes the 290X record all of your data, turn it into sound va the fan then submit it to them via your interwebs.

Spies.....

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Stolen land? Good joke, the bible goes back 5000 years back and it says that the land of Israel belongs to the Jews, but hey..we stole it. Maybe from the Dinosaurs.

and FYI -
Palestine is a relatively new term compared to the biblical name Israel. It's an attempt to erase the Jewish history from Israel.

zyst88

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Exodus story as depicted in the bible has been conclusively proven by Israeli archaeologists themselves to be an utter BS, which is to prove how unreliable of an information source the bible is so don’t use it as a warrant from your god to steal other peoples land because it makes you look like a total ignorant retard.

zyst88

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Exodus story as depicted in the bible has been conclusively proven by Israeli archaeologists themselves to be an utter BS, which is to prove how unreliable of an information source the bible is so don’t use it as a warrant from your god to steal other peoples land because it makes you look like a total ignorant retard.

jmonaco5

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Actually, the Exodus story and the great flood came from the Sumarians in the epic of Gilgamesh.........But they had many gods..

zyst88

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
So what? How does that change anything I've said in my previous post - all youre saying is that the exodus story is someone else's BS - so it's still BS and shouldnt be used as a warrant for anything....

tsnor

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
1. Neat article. If nothing else it'll be fun to ask the FIPS 140-4 guys at your favorite crypto board provider if they are singing out the keys. Should drive them nuts proving they are not.

2. PLEASE DONT FEED THE TROLLS. just downrate them.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
So the bible is BS...OK, now please enlighten me with the long history of the "Palestinian nation"...
Until the British empire there was no such thing as Palestinians nation. There was only a geographical area referred to as Palestine, which included Jews and Arabs (Which were a mixture of Jordanians, Egyptians and some tribes from the Arabian desert).
Many of the Arabs fled from "Palestine" in the war of 47 , because they were sure that the Arab armies will erase the Jews (finish Hitler's heritage, I guess.).
The ones who stayed are living a good life under Israeli regime.
The proof? Ask yourself why the Arabs in Israel never did an Arab spring...They live a good life here and they enjoy the wealthy and prosperity of living alongside Jews. They don't want Israel to become like it's neighbor Arab countries, or like Gaza, which is a direct result of Palestinian regime (Gaza gets millions but it all disappears under the hand of the Palestinian corruption and terror).

Status
Not open for further replies.