80" TV 120 vs 240 for gaming and in general

RFreund

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
If I buy an 80" tv with 120 refresh rate (which seem to be about $1,000 less) will I be disappointed?
I suppose that's a relative question, however is there a noticable difference when gaming, say using XBox1 or PS4 on an 80" TV with 120 vs 240?
Again probably relative but I'd like to get some feedback before I make the investment.

Thanks

for pc/xb1/ps4......basically for any gaming device...... you will need to disable 120hz mode. they will need to be ran at 60hz (which is what the hdmi input accepts anyways). the rest of those frames are faked in which causes delay which would cause lag between you pushing buttons on controller and seeing it happen on screen.

RFreund

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Interesting, thank you. So there is really no advantage then.
I suppose however most 240 tv's will have better color / contrast than 120.
I guess what it's coming down to for me is, Sharp 80LE857 vs 650 model is the 857 really worth the extra $1300. I mean side by side you can tell somewhat of a difference I suppose but I'm just not sure it's worth it.

better color? no, not at all. color is not linked to refresh rate.

color is determined by the panel type.

honestly i personally wouldnt go with sharp. the only three i would buy from are samsung lg or sony. your choice though.

RFreund

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Sorry I just meant in general that the TV that has a 240 refresh rate vs a similar model with a 120 rate would also have better color/contrast but I suppose there's no rule to that.

Interesting to hear that you don't like sharp. I've had a couple people tell me that they like Sharp cause "they're built to last". Although one guy was a salesman for Best Buy and the other was just a friend who likes to watch TV.
Why no Sharp?

well the tvs they have are "okay". not the best, not the worst. their customer service however is total crud and getting parts for one if it breaks isnt going to be easy. you can compare them to vizio, toshiba and all the other "mid tier" brands

getting parts for sony is really easy. i believe its also easy to get parts for samsung and i believe possibly lg. other brands... mid and low tier brands? not so much.

best buy salespeople typically have no clue about anything. they only go by what they think, hear or what their training tells them. my cousin was a television repair tech for 20-30 years and personally owns a LG and adamantly stands behind sony and samsung as well. he knows how hard it is to get parts and quite frankly its a big issue for most brands. its better off just replacing the tv when it fails.

of course... if you wanted to replace the tv anyways instead of fixing it.... then go right ahead and buy vizio, sharp, toshiba or some other brand.

i'm not trying to be mr negative against sharp... i just personally like to buy something i know can be fixed if need be. i dont buy disposable electronics.

if you dont care... then go right ahead and buy sharp. its an average quality brand (mid tier).