Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
So I want to get a new tablet and I want it to be either the surface 2 or the surface 2 pro. But the thing is there is a 450 dollar difference... Is it worth it? I saw with the surface pro 2 that you can install games like black ops 2 on it and it will play really good. And I would also like to know how much faster is the surface pro 2 than the surface 2? And what is your personal preference between these 2 and why. Thanks for any response :D

Arthan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, the big difference is the OS, with the Pro 2 being able to run pretty much any program you install on it. It's convenient, but you'll find that without a discrete GPU, even the power of a Core i5 won't make this your primary gaming machine. It's good for low requirements games, or just playing so more intensive games on lowered settings.

That being said, the digitizer screen is where the huge gap in pricing comes from. That's the thing that allows you to write on the screen with a stylus without making it feel like you're trying to write on plastic using a sausage (read:using a stylus with an Ipad). It's a WONDERFUL tool for students and some professionals... and utterly useless for anyone else. Personally I'm a huge fan of it and wouldn't be able to go through class and note taking without a stylus anymore, but it is way too expensive if you don't plan to use it at all.

Also keep in mind that Windows RT, which is used with the regular Surface 2, has been failing to garner any kind of relevant support from app developers for two years now, meaning that the app ecosystem is extremely poor when compared to what you will see on ipads and even android devices. As g-unit already mentioned, you won't be able to install any kind of windows programs on the RT, you'll need an app. I advise doing some research to make sure that the apps you need for your tablet are available on RT before you make a move and buy a Surface 2. And if money isn't a concern... definitely go all the way with the Surface Pro 2. I wouldn't name it the best tablet for the money by a LONG shot, but it's still one of my favorite tablets on the market right now.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah the bad thing is that app doesn't exist. You are locked into content from the Microsoft App Store with buying the Surface 2. That includes games, movies, TV shows, applications and so on and so forth. Windows RT does not run x86 applications - that means no AutoCAD, no Photoshop, no iTunes, no Firefox, no Flash, no Ad Block, I could go on and on. Windows RT sounds like a good idea in theory and there's supposedly ways to make the Surface 2 run non RT sanctioned applications but it technically voids the warranty on your device and you won't get support by using those methods (by that I mean rooting, which Zach Galafinakis would say it's not illegal, it's frowned upon). The Surface Pro 2 is a great device and it's the only tablet on the market that can accurately be called a laptop replacement, but boy is it expensive! The other alternative is to go with a 11" Windows tablet like a Dell Venue 11 or Lenovo Ideatab Miix. Both of those can be had for about the price of the 64GB Surface 2 and they run full Windows with no restrictions.

Lachlan2104

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
My personal option is that I am on my surface pro 2 256g and it is a beast better than some of my friends laptops... best buy I have ever had

Between the two, I would definitely buy the Surface Pro 2 since it is simply a more capable piece of crap... I mean hardware... for the reasons stated above.

However, my idea of a portable Windows device is an 8" Windows tablet, but I am waiting on Intel to release the Cherry Trail / Willow Trail generation Atom CPUs first. Besides, I want a 64-bit OS and at least 4GB. Current generations only have 32-bit OS and only 2GB of RAM. I also need to to look for new jackets with large enough interior pockets for those things. I can fit a 7" Nexus 7 in my jackets, but no way can I stick an 8" tablets in those pockets

Dylan1999

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Nice!!! thanks guyss :D Sorry it took so long to respond my laptop isnt agreeing with this site. It wouldnt log in :( Anyways. I think i would probably get the pro 2 when i get the money though because im getting some headphones soon and Im a teen looking for a job :D And again, thanks all of your help

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah I'm getting a Surface Pro 2 for my next laptop, which is definitely a couple years out.