Buying laptop for college/gaming

Verrrtigo

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Hi. I've been reading the forums for quite a while now and finally decided to post. I'm interested in buying a new laptop because my mother needs a laptop so I'm planning to give her mine and use the chance to upgrade.

I will mainly use it for university. I finish my in less than 6 months but I still haven't decided if I should pursue a higher degree, which will mean at least 1.5 more years. I will be running programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, Energy Pro and it will used as gaming/multimedia laptop when not doing college work.

I've already decided to go for an Intel CPU(i7 or i5) and a GeForce GPU(preferably with Optimus, but it's probably hard to find a laptop without it). I also want to somewhat future-proof my purchase and have decided to get no less than 8 gb of RAM. A 15.6' screen is preferable, but is not the deciding factor. Optical drive is not necessary, but would be a bonus. I don't often use it, but there are times when it's needed. Price range is around 800 Euro/1100 USD.

My three main dilemmas are:

-Dual core vs Quad core? I tend to multitask a lot and have many different programs opened at once, plus multiple tabs on my browser. Could a Haswell dual core hold up to an Ivy Bridge quad? I realise that Haswells tend to drain less battery power, but battery performance is among the last of my primary needs. Is the quad core worth the bigger price/generally lower battery lifetime?

-1920x1080 resolution vs 1600x900/1366x768. Right now I have a laptop with 1366x768 resolution and I'm used to it, but I've seen laptops with Full HD on display and the amount of working space is amazing. But I've also heard people complain about readability and that daily internet browsing is a pain in the eyes (pun intended). I am not planning to buy an external monitor because available space on my desk is already very limited. Is Full HD worth it on a 15.6' screen?

-Lastly, SSD or HDD? My storage needs aren't very big, and a 256 GB SSD would probably suffice, but at least where I live not many laptops in my price range are offered with such a large one. They're usually paired with a HDD and are up to 64 GB, which wouldn't be too bad, but it's rare to find such a set up combined with good GPU/CPU/RAM parameters. Would it be a good idea to invest in an SSD and replace the HDD if there's only 1 drive bay?

I also want to squeeze at least 3.5-4 hours of working with MS Office and Autocad while at university, because a power socket is not always readily available there. The rest of the time the laptop will be used at home, where power is always available.

I've already looked at specimens like these(the pages are in Lithuanian, but I'm pretty sure that specifications can still be understood):

Dell. I actually bought this one, but it was faulty and I returned it for a refund, didn't have time to hassle with replacements. I've posted a thread on Dell's official forums asking for help with the issues, but over three weeks there have been no replies. I also read multiple instances of the Intel/AMD switchable graphics not working correctly, and that's why I'd prefer an nVidia card.
Dell

Asus. Not really sold on the external subwoofer, but other than that, the laptop looks very solid. However, it's a bit on the high end of my preferred price interval. But I'm willing to invest more to buy something good. Also there might be discounts after the Christmas hype dies down.
Asus

Acer. What worries me is the 6 GB of RAM and the dual core processor(although it's the same as the Dell's above). Other than that, looks very good. My current one is an Acer, and it has served me pretty well, although build quality leaves a bit to be desired.
Acer

I have had a chance to feel the Dell when it was shipped to me and I've touched the Asus in the store. I liked the feel of them both, and build quality was decent. Also looked at Lenovo Y500 series, but concerned about the rather short battery life.

I apologise for the long post, but I really put a lot of thought into my purchases so that they serve me long and well. I hope to find help in this forum. If needed, I can fill out the questionnaire, but I think I've provided enough info.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I'd look into the lenovo y510p (or y410p if you want 14")

i7 4700mq (quad core) cpu
gt 750m gpu
8 gb ram
HDD starting at 1 tb, customizable up to a 1 tb + 24 gb sshd
optical drive that can be swapped out for other stuff as needed (see ultrabay)
the 15" has a dual gpu sli option

I don't know specifically how much battery life you'd get, but I can do 4 hours fairly easily on my 14" with office. Price starts at around $800 the last time i checked

Verrrtigo

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for the reply. This Lenovo definitely seems good, but a bit out of my price range currently. Costs roughly 1200 euros/1650 USD. That's partly because I've only been able to find the 2x750GB SLI model so far. And partly because some laptop brands are just more expensive here. But usually during and especially after the Christmas there are decent discounts, so I'm not ready to discard it just yet.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
What country are you buying it from? If lenovo sells it in your country then you should be able to find the single gpu version on their site.

Otherwise the 14" might be a cheaper, slightly less poweful, but usable alternative.

Verrrtigo

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Forgot to update this. I bought an ASUS N56VV with an i7-3630QM, GT 750M and 8 GB RAM. The Lenovo here(Lithuania) only comes with a dual GPU setup, which obviously bumps the price up to a point where it's out of my budget.

I've had a problem with the first unit of the N56VV, but the reseller replaced it without even so much as turning it on to check if I wasn't lying about the problem. I hope this one will work well for at least its warranty time (36 months).

Thanks everyone. Marking mc962's solution as best, since no one else posted.

EDIT: I don't know how to mark the solution as best. Can anyone help?