Best 17" laptop for the money

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my fiance's cruddy old Dell (6 years old) with a new light laptop and want to buy on friday, assuming there may be a deal to be had online (I work during the day, plus Canada's sales aren't THAT big).

Here is what I have for the FAQ. I really like the Asus PCs but there are only a couple of 17" ones.

1. What is your budget?
EDIT: - around $1300 ish pre-tax

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
- high, she will be doing AutoCAD drawings. I will buy a screen for here desk but still needs a big screen for mobile. 1080p?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
-Not sure what that means. Yes? No? It needs to be powerful...

5. How much battery life do you need?
-Doesn't matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-NO

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
-Photoshop, AutoCAD, Illustrator. High amounts of RAM and CPU

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
-Doesn't matter, they all come with more than enough.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-Anywhere that offers the best deal (in store even)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-Long

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-NONE (will buy external if needed.)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-Personally don't like HP (for printers at least). I like ASUS, Dell seems to have a good warranty. ACER is cheaply made, would like something well built.

13. What country do you live in?
-CANADA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-Want it to be LIGHT, ultrabook? Do they not have ethernet ports? Is that really important in this day and age?
*-Screen is very important. I think HD Anti-Glare would be best for design work.*
-minimum CPU dual core 3.0GHz or more (AutoCAD requirements.)
-NO MAC OS
-Don't worry too much about the price, I just need the models and I can go hunting for a deal later on a site or around town.

Let me know if you need more info

sannitig

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I found a Lenovo Z510 with i7 3.4GHz, 15.6 screen, 1300x700 (ish) res., 8GB RAM, intel HD4600 GPU, thin & light for $649 + tax. What!

TRENDING THREADS