Micro SD Card Transfer Speed Troubles

nolimbs

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi,

I am having trouble transferring files from my computer onto my 64gb Kingston micro sd card. When the micro sd card is mounted onto my Galaxy Note 3 and I connect the Note to my computer and transfer music to the micro sd card, the transfer speed is incredibly slow (taking 5 minutes to transfer 40 mb) and in some occasions, the progress bar just stops moving. I've also noticed that when transferring from PC to micro sd card, there is no timer (if that means anything).

I've used this micro sd card on my Galaxy S2 for half a year and there hasn't been any problems with it until today. I've tried connecting the micro sd card to my computer (via usb adapter) and it works perfectly fine. I've tried transferring music from my computer to my phone's internal storage and it works perfectly fine. At first, I thought it was because my micro sd card was corrupt since my galaxy s2 suddenly restarted as I was transferring files from the mounted micro sd card onto my computer. I've tried the two procedures on this post (http://www.coolpctips.com/2010/08/how-to-fix-a-corrupted-memory-card/) but the issue still remained. I've tried transferring files to another micro sd card (mounted onto the Note), but the same issue remained. I tried the micro sd cards on my S2 and they worked fine.

So after all that I have no idea how to fix this problem. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix this? Or would it be hardware related?

InvalidError

Distinguished
Since the SD card works fine everywhere else and internal storage on the Note works too, that would indicate either a firmware or hardware issue with the Note's SD card support.

Suggestion: try transferring files from the Note's internal storage to the SD card and vice-versa to see if this is a problem with all SD card accesses on your Note or only when using the SD slot over USB. That won't solve your problem but at least you will know if this is a general SD issue on the Note or specific to USB Mass Storage.

that is quite common actually.

when you take the card out and use an adapter you can use the card at full speed because there arent any limiting factors in the way such as a phone not having a fast usb port, the data being routed through the phone, etcetera.

the same is true with cameras too.

whenever you route through the device (connecting your phone up to the usb and transferring) your speeds will always be slower than take the card out and using an adapter.

its not a sd card issue or really a problem with the note (other than manufacturers still havent made such transfer faster)

nolimbs

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I've tried transferring the files from internal storage to the SD card and vice versa, it's still quite slow. But thanks for your comment InvalidError and ssddx. I never thought the device could hinder transfers speeds. I'll wait for some updates from Samsung before making any final conclusions.