Emergency mobile charger?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi!

I'll cut to the chase. I've ordered myself a Nexus 5 and I want to also buy an emergency charger for it. I would normally just buy a spare battery and make sure it's fully charged and just carry that with me but the Nexus 5 does not have a removeable battery, so that makes this a little difficult. =)

I shall now state what I am looking for:

2,300mAh minimum (Higher capacity preferable)
High speed charging
Preferably with a male micro USB built in so I dont have to carry a cable with me
Small enough to fit in my pocket

Can anyone suggest anything that fits these criteria? Thanks!

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi! Thanks for your reply!

Believe it or not I was looking at this myself. =) Although I was looking at the 4,500mAh one. I didn't realise they did a 6,000mAh version, so thanks for that!

This is more or less exactly what im after, small and slim, build in cable, enough capacity for a couple of charges at least and from the reviews it seems to fully charge most devices in a couple of hours.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
It looks like the Anker slim 6000mAh version would be good for your needs. The charge time may different from devices. It has two 2Amp ports, which charges faster generally. But most smartphones are really rated at 1Amp battery, so even if you have a 2Amp charger, it will be only charged at the rate of 1Amp. If you have a tablet, that is a different case.

I recommend Anker as well. I own this: http://www.amazon.com/13000mAh-Portable-Dual-Port-Thunderbolt-Incredible/dp/B00CTK6SLE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384669624&sr=8-4&keywords=anker+astro+e4

Yes, I know it's huge, but I don't want to charge it over and over, and want something that lasts long for me. Just want to say that they make good products. Although the USB cable they shipped doesn't connect well, I might be just one of the unlucky ones. But they did send me a replacement, good customer service.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

Thanks for your reply!

I'm still pondering over whether to get the 4500mAh or the 6000mAh version. I only plan on having to use it for one emergency charge when I go on a night out or if I leave my cable at home (Which is very rare), so I would have thought the 4500mAh one would be fine for at least two charges. The 6000mAh one is just a bit too expensive for me at the minute.

I dont really mind charging it up every night if I have to. =)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

But you have to remember that external battery chargers are only about 70-80% efficiency (heat, voltage conversation, etc.), like typical PSUs on a computer. I have noticed that on my external battery as well. So 4500mAh, that's about 3500mAh. You have a Nexus 5 (great phone btw), that's 2300mAh. That's enough for 1 and 1/2 charges. For the 6000mAh, it will be about 4500mAh, just enough for 2 charges. For a 10 bucks difference, it is a bit too much. But, if they are priced so similar, everyone will buy the 6000mAh instead and not buy the 4500mAh one. I may not be totally right about the efficiency, but just to let you know the idea of it. Hope this helps with your choice.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

I am aware of battery efficiency, but like I've said, I only really want the external battery to last for one extra charge anyway, I don't see myself using it for more than that to be honest. =)

I'll keep watching the two and see what the price difference is when I come to buy one, I wont buy it until my N5 has arrived, and at the minute its looking like I wont be getting it until this time next month due to Google being out of stock. -_-

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

That happened with the Nexus 4 as well. Sold out immediately, everyone have to wait weeks and months just to get it. Well, it's a very high end phone for 1/2 of a typical high-end phone's price, wouldn't everyone get it? I might be considering the Google Nexus's series as well. I am using my Galaxy S3, which serves me well, been using it for a year. Still waiting for Android 4.3 though. Anyways, it's great to have an external charger on your hand, I might consider getting a smaller version as well...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

I placed my order for my Nexus 5 about a week ago now and the expected shipping date is the 12th Dec. o_O It's silly how phone manufacturers always seem to run out. You would have thought they would just make more of them? (although im sure theres more to it than that.)

Coincidently I also have an S3, and have had mine for about a year also. =) By far and away the best phone Ive had to date, and it still is a good phone, but I just fancy an upgrade. And considering the Nexus 5 is only 8% away from the Note 3 on 3D Mark (The Note 3 scoring the highest) I think its an absolute steal for only £300!

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Looks like you are one of the 50 million Galaxy S3 users also, lol. Which version of the S3 do you own? I probably won't upgrade yet, contact end around the end of 2014. At that time, Nexus 6 should be out. Also the Galaxy Note 4 as well. I would like to get a Nexus, but uhh, stock Android, not really my favorite :/

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
I own the i9300. Non LTE unfortunately. =( Tis part of the reason for the N5 upgrade. Lol. I took out my contract in November last year, so mine wont end until this time next year. XD I just fancy an upgrade now, plus I already have a Nexus 7 tablet, which is pushing me more towards vanilla Android devices. =)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I own the SGH-T999, or the T-Mobile version, doesn't come with LTE also (even though it has the hardware for LTE compatibility, apparently the lock the LTE bands)... Don't really want a tablet as much, lol. Although the Nexus 7 is a great tablet for it's price. Also the Dell venue 8 Pro looks nice...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, I've heard about a lot of carriers locking the LTE capabilities. A bit cheeky if you ask me.

I've had several tablets over the last few years, the first being a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 1st gen. (Not a bad tablet in its day, but compared to what you can get today it's like a commodore 64 XD). I like the convenience if a tablet, in fact in typing this on my N7 right now. =) I have a bluebook keyboard and a wireless mouse and so I've basically got a laptop with more performance than a netbook and for about half the price. Albeit without some of the functionality. The Dell does look nice, but when I bought this tablet my budget was limited. Not that the N7 was a bad choice, in fact I couldn't be happier. And seeing as I'll be getting an N5 soon the two should work well together. =)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Nexus 5, Nexus 7, getting the 2nd gen Nexus 10 as soon as it's released? That would be good combination right there. I do realize that tablet has overtaking the market, in such a quick time... Tablets are quite convenient, I have to say. I just won't hope that tablet will be killing traditional laptops and desktops... even though a tablet can do 99% of a normal user can do.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

I think getting the N10 would be a bit OTT for me, although it would be nice. =) No, in all seriousness I doubt I would use the N10 at all, as I currently use my N7 for casual reading\watching movies\Internet browsing, I have a good desktop at home for everything else (Including gaming =P) and the N5 will be useful as a portable little media centre.

I won't deny however that I would love to get a 2nd gen N10 when they come out, but my N7 is definitely more convenient due to its small size and weight. I can just slightly it into your pocket if need be, and it's small enough to use for work and college without being a hindrance, which I think the N10 would be. =\

I seriously doubt tablets are going to overtake pics in popularity for some time yet. They still don't have nearly the same performance as pc's, plus pc's are s much easier to use due to the whole mouse and keyboard thing. =)

Had a surprising bit of news yesterday. Looked at my Gmail and found an email from Google Play saying that my N5 had shipped! =D Considering they weren't meant to have any in stock until the 11th of December I'm pleasantly surprised about this. Judging by the tracking is being delivered today!

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I guess you will need to shell out atleast $400 on a Nexus 10. The Nexus 7, is really really nice. I doubt if anyone will buy the Nexus 10 as much, since the Nexus 7 is already a great tablet. Quite surprising that your Nexus 5 is shipped. The Koreans must be working 24/7. Now you can go ahead and buy your external charger. Know what you going to get yet?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, I think you're right. However I would assume the N10 would have all the latest hardware, just like the N5, making it more powerful than the N7. It is also likely to have a larger resolution screen I would have thought. I think the N10 will be for those not bothered about the size of thier device providing it's pwoerful. =) But I am quite happy with my N7, I actually bought myseslf a keyboard case for it and have been using it along with a wireless mouse as a faster, more convienient replacement for a laptop. Works supprisingly well!

I was just as supprised that it had shipped so soon, I really wasn't expecting to get it anytime before December. Not that I'm complaining of course. XD I'm actually going to collect it from the post office afdter work today. I know what I'll be doing tongiht!

I think I'm just going to go with the 4,500mAh version, as for some reason the 6,000mAh version has gone up in price recently. It's nearly £10 (Which is about $15 I think?) more expensive than it's little brother. Plus it's like I said, I only really plan on using it for one full charge every now and then, mainly if I go for a night out you know? Any other time and I'll be in close proximity to a laptop or computer.

Thanks for your help though regarding the charger, most appreciated! It's nice to knwo that what I'm getting is going to be worth it. =)

Another thing I'm going to be investing in is a case. I don't really believe in cases perwsonally, as I just think that they take the pleasure away from using the phone as it is. If you chuck a chunky case over a good looking, comfortable device it kinda takes the point awawy from inlcuding all that plastic around the phone in the first palce. XD But after using my S3 for a year now, I reaslise that I am not the nest at keeping my ohones in mint condition, for want of another way of putting it. So I'm going to purchase a Spigen case which are meant to be very good and are extremly popular from what I've seen.

Annother thing is buying insurance for my N5. One thing I really do wish I had done for my S3. I broke the screen on it about 4 months ago but as I didnt have insurance I decided to replace it myself. Wasn't too difficult hwoever it did set me back £120. But I think protect my Bubble offer insurance from £5 a month and you get three screen replacements a year and 1 full phone replacement a year, or something like that, which isnt too bad. =)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I would say get the 4500mAh version as well. The price and capacity ratio is more on the 4500mAh one. It will be fine if you don't have your charger for a day (assuming you use up 100% phone battery in a day), for your use, it's fine. About cases, in the beginning when I get my S3, I just get a cheap, silicone case, offered free at the store. So I just toke two and yeah, they work fine. Then about a few months ago, I got the Otterbox Commuter, it's a nice case, provides pretty decent protection but at the same time, it's not very bulky like the Defender series.. I don't own insurance for my phone, so I am always careful. Once my mom was playing around with my phone, and she drop it, on HARD floor. I was like f**k, my phone is going to crack. Luckily it didn't. I would suggest getting a tempered glasses protector, in fact I would get one of those for my next smartphone. They function like normal screen protectors, but since it's like hard, so it's more impact protection towards the screen, even if you do have a case, the screen will be the most vulnerable part to get damaged on. Well, I guess have fun with your new toy.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, I think I will end up going with the 4500mAh one unless the larger version drops in price in the next few days, which is unlikely. =) I normally use a full charge per day on my S3, so even though the N5 has a slightly larger battery, I would still expect to use at least a full charge a day.

The Otterbox Commuter does look quite nice actually, but unfortunately I don;t think they have released one for the N5 yet. =( I have ordered myself a couple of Spigen cases though, the Neo Hybrid and the Ultra Fit. I plan on using the Ultra Fit when I'm at work, around the house, casual trips etc. and the Neo Hybrid for when I go out with my friends, as this one is a bit beefier and should (Touch wood) protect the N5 well enough if I drop it. =P

I bet you were LIVID when your mom dropped it! If my mom did that I'd have a fit! Lol. Just one more reason why the older generation of huimans and newer generation of phones don't mix. =) Yeah, I think I'll definitely take out insurance on this one, although I did go through the fine print in the T & C's, they really dont want to have to pay out if you claim I'll tell you that. And theres a £50 excess on every repeair, even if the repair doesn't cost that much. Still, better safe than sorry.

I have actually seen those tempered glass protectors around the net, and I am willing to give one a try if they are as good as they say they are. The only problem I have is that I am not the worlds best at applying screen protectors. I use a lint free cloth and everything to make sure the screen is free from dust but theres always a few dust bubbles still present no matter how well I clean the screen. =P This normally wouldnt bother me as you replace conventional screen protectors once every couple of months anyway, but you are meant to leave the glass protectors on for far longer arent you? And it's not as if they come cheaply enough so I buy two so I have a spare in case I get it wrong the first time. =S I'll have to have a look online to see if anyone has an easy way of doing it. XD

Well I collected my N5 from the post depot yesterday after work, and I have to say so far I love it! One of the first things I did, (naturally) was install 3D Mark and run it, and I was extremly supprised with my score! The average score for the N5 (As of right now, it fluctuates slightly from day to day) is 16,072, and the average for the Note 3 is 17,827. Mine scored 17,853! That's higher than the Note 3! I think I may have won big time in the silicone lottery this time around! =D

After setting up my accounts and downloading a few key app's I can safely say that this phone is by far and away the best phone I have had to date. As I use alot of the Google services I did not even have to worry about transferring my contacts, it was all done for me! Things have really come a long way since the days of the indestructable Nolkia. =) If I have one qualm with the N5 so far it would be that the bettery life is not very good, but I have only put it through two charges so far and am still in the process of wearing the battery in, so this should improve over hte next few days with any luck.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Unfortunately Otterbox saids they have no plans for the Nexus 5... Kinda sucks. All those case manufacturers always only make cases for the popular phones, like the iPhone, Galaxy S3, S4, etc. There are videos online that can help you apply it, you just have to do it quick. The quicker, the lesser chance for dusts and bubbles. It's really a matter of personal opinion, but a bubble or two on the side on the phone should be fine. But it's a tempered galss protector, it's hard, unless those plastic soft ones. I am not sure if they last longer, I never used one, but for sure it will add protection from screen impacts, saving hundreds of dollars for a screen replacement. Do you like in the UK? You keep talking about currencies in pounds. Nexus 5 is faster than the Note 3... Well it's stock android, unlike the note 3 has all those extra stuff (touchWiz UI, etc.).