Dell Venue 8 Pro vs Dell Venue 11 vs Asus T100, which would ya recommend?

Green Arrow

Honorable
May 9, 2013
I'm trying to decide which of these to get but I can't decide. I'm curious about the Dell Venue 8 as it has a perfect size factor but it doesn't have a keyboard, or I think it doesn't(Correct me if I'm wrong), and the Venue 11 seems like a better T100 from the reviews I've read.

I'm really curious about that Venue 8 though, is typing on it good or is their any Keyboard case option?

g-unit1111

Distinguished
The Venue 8 and the Venue 11 literally have the exact same hardware - both are based on the Intel Atom Z3740D processor with 2GB of RAM. It won't power much but be enough to power most basic tablet functions and a few x86 applications like word processing and iTunes, things like that. There is no keyboard case option as far as I'm aware but Dell does sell a keyboard and you can use any Bluetooth keyboard on it.

isouki

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

This is totally wrong...

The Dell Venue Pro 11 has an Intel Atom Z3770, micro HDMI, USB 3.0, 1080p screen, and it does not charge via micro-USB.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I knew the Venue 11 had a better screen but I thought the two had the same processor.

sundaver

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Also, keep in mind that they are actually pretty powerful. My Venue 8 can play L4D at Native on medium/high settings for 4 hours straight... that is pretty powerful for something so small. Source Engine is highly optimized for low-level PCs, but still. Its a 300 dollar, 8in, 14oz tablet.

Now comes the question - do you plan to type a lot of documents up? If highly decent performance and typing is a thing, but you want to stay under 500 dollars, the Asus is your answer. With free keyboard dock at $350 and very similar performance to the Venue 8 Pro (20fps decrease in most games at average when compared to the Venue 8 Pro) that is for you without a doubt.
Though, if you want a big screen for what I mentioned above but AMAZING performance, the Venue 11 with Haswell CPU is for you. It is pricey, but even with accessories it still comes down to a few hundred dollars under what a Surface 2 Pro could get you, and it has the active digitizer option still there.
Though if you want something small, cheap, and amazing, the Venue 8 Pro is for you.
They all have the same batter life, it just comes down to how you plan to use it. Whatever you do, don't waste money on getting a Atom powered Venue 11. You will return it; my girlfriend did that and got herself the Venue 11 with the i5-4k. Its go big or go home on Venue 11.

This is all from personal experience and high-taste in preferences. The Dell Venue is not sold at Best Buys, but the Asus T100 is. Buy it there if you need a 10in display for word documents, and return it if you want something beefy like the Venue 11. Though, if word is not a big thing for you, you will love the Venue 8. Remember, it is what you need it most for, and battery is the same for them all (give or take 1-2 hours at 8-10hours a charge)

bangshoushang

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
The Dell Venue Pro 11 has an Intel Atom Z3770, micro HDMI, USB 3.0, 1080p screen, and it does not charge via micro-USB.
gg

Retzar

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Just wondering, how do you figure that the Asus gets lower framerates than the Dell 8? Don't they have the same hardware?

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
@Green Arrow

Firstly, discussing the 8" Bay Trail-T Windows slates,
---- GPS and HDMI-out, battery
Having better portability the 8-inch slates would more likely be using for outdoors and travel purpose, well then, the GPS and HDMI-out are more necessary, it is basic requirements for US $399 to buy this slate (64GB).

Toshiba Encore WT8 (64GB)/VT484 provides GPS and HDMI-out, the battery is 20Wh, claiming the battery life up to 14.1 hrs, or 10 hrs User scenario (65% Web / 10% Video Playback / 25% Standby), or 11 hrs by The JEITA Battery Run Time Measurement Method.
Seemingly Toshiba Encore WT8/Vt484 is slight heavier 90g than Lenovo MiiX II 8", that is actually with slightly larger battery as well as metal parts, better stuff.

must note, when 300 cycles of charging and discharging later the battery capacity will drop to less than an 80% of original, so, the runnable time will be shorter. Moreover, the battery is non-interchangeable (not user replaceable battery).

---- HFFS screen (Toshiba WT8 /VT484)
Advanced fringe field switching (AFFS), by Wikipedia,
Hydis introduced a high-transmittance evolution of the AFFS display, called HFFS (FFS+).
Hydis introduced AFFS+ with improved outdoor readability in 2007. AFFS panels are mostly utilized in the cockpits of latest commercial aircraft displays.
Known as fringe field switching (FFS) until 2003,[33] advanced fringe field switching is similar to IPS or S-IPS offering superior performance and color gamut with high luminosity. AFFS was developed by Hydis Technologies Co., Ltd, Korea (formally Hyundai Electronics, LCD Task Force).[34]
AFFS-applied notebook applications minimize color distortion while maintaining a wider viewing angle for a professional display. Color shift and deviation caused by light leakage is corrected by optimizing the white gamut which also enhances white/gray reproduction.
In 2004, Hydis Technologies Co., Ltd licensed AFFS to Japan's Hitachi Displays. Hitachi is using AFFS to manufacture high-end panels. In 2006, HYDIS licensed AFFS to Sanyo Epson Imaging Devices Corporation.

---- eMMC
Select a 64GB slate to be more appropriate (not a 32GB version), based running Windows x86 which is fully unlike a lightweight Android slate.
Bay Trail-T Atom is with eMMC 4.5 in the local storage (no SATA), sounds like eMMC 4.5 claiming Max Bandwidth 200MB/s, but in fact even if eMMC 4.5 Samsung 128GB is merely the write speed max 50MB/s (read max 150MB/s), while the 16GB the write speed is much slower. They are not the same speed, say in between the 4-chip and the 8-chip packaged, the slowest situation is with 1-chip (mono) packaged.
MBG4GC -- 4-chip packaged, MCG8GC -- 8-chip packaged, in eMMC 4.5 the 64GB is no 4-chip packaged.
(Although eMMC 5.0 claiming Max Bandwidth 400MB/s, but actually the write speed is still 50 - 60 MB/s just so little, above 32GB; Therein the 16GB is poor max 11MB/s (W) as well as so-called the eMMC Pro (5.0) the 16 GB is just merely 40MB/s (W). Also, access time is too slow in eMMC)

Contrast, during Aug 2012 the SoC iSSD (SATA uSSD) the Read/Write speed has went up to 450(R)/350(W) MB/s, and the access time is less than 0.5ms, supports NCQ, much faster than eMMC.
Unhappily, Bay Trail-T Atom does not sopport SATA and PCIe, incapable to get the storage performance higher.

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
@Green Arrow

Secondly, discussing the 10" hybrid-book

I already pointed the eMMC SSD much slower than SATA SSD, Very unluckily, currently the 8" Windows slates have no alternative but is just with Bay Trail-T Atom processor and eMMC, you are no else selectable. Also, Bay Trail-T Atom does not support 64-bit Windows.

The 10" Atom hybrid-books in fact that is Netbook's moldy corpse refurbished again.

But, unlike the 8" Windows slates, at the 10" hybrid-book you can see Core i3 Y series processors already configured, which is like Dell Venue 11 Pro with Core i3-4020Y Processor.
In the 10" hybrid-book no required to focus on Core i5/i7 processor, but Core i3 Y series processors are fully worthy.

Comparison
Venue 11 Pro
Atom z3770 vs. Core i3-4020Y
OS: 32-bit Windows only vs Windows 8.1 64-bit supported
Storage: eMMC vs SATA SSD (128GB Mobility SSD)
Ram: 2GB vs 4GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics vs Intel GT2 Graphics
Battery: 2-cell 32Whr swappable vs 2-cell 36Whr swappable

In both versions would have huge difference especially video recode and graphic processing.

Note,
ASUS T100TA charging is via micro-USB port, and the battery is non-interchangeable (not user replaceable battery).
Venue 11 Pro charging is not via micro-USB, and the battery is by user replaceable way.

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Venue 11 Pro allows you to replace the battery
Venue 11 Pro 7130: Back Cover Disassembly Video
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/videos~en/documents~venue-11-pro-7130-back-cover-disassembly-video.aspx
Venue 11 Pro 7130: Battery Disassembly Video
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/videos~en/documents~venue-11-pro-7130-battery-disassembly-video.aspx

and allows you to replace the Coin Cell Battery
Venue 11 Pro: Coin Cell Battery Disassembly Video
http://www.dell.com/learn/in/en/inlca1/videos~en/documents~venue-11-pro-5130-coin-cell-battery-diassembly-video.aspx

and allows you to upgrade the SATA SSD (Venue 11 Pro Core i3/i5 version only)
http://image.itmedia.co.jp/l/im/pcuser/articles/1311/19/l_tm_1311_venue11pro_06.jpg

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
---- For an 8" Windows slate, in currently that is Toshiba WT8 64GB doing better.

Toshiba WT8 provides GPS and HDMI-out.
In outdoors, trip or mountain that GPS is very helpful, even if there is no Internet when, with Google Earth has packaged of the trip-zone's buffer files, or is the pre-prepared other map tiles.
Viewing map based on an 8" screen would be much more comfortable than a cellphone. Moreover, therefore in journey can take with a ultra-low-power phone or a satellite phone, no longer a high power consumed of phone. Usually most of phone's GPS performance are not so well, a too small GPS antenna built-in.

In hotel you can use HDMI-out connected to TV with a large screen to view photos or video,etc.

---- For a 10" hybrid-book, in currently that is Dell Venue 11 Pro (Core i3-4020Y) a much better. Another version Dell Venue 11 Pro is with Core i5 4210Y processor.
It compared to the Atom hybrid-books, these differences are far more than a processor!

Dell Venue 11 Pro is not a copycat with the MacAir's vices,
Dell Venue 11 Pro is user replaceable Battery, etc..., MacAir not so, iPad not so.
But, more copycats follow the Apple product's vices, not eyeing on Apple's fortes.

Daniel Koucky

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I am also interested in a similar question. I am looking for a tablet to replace my laptop for short trips. I had an iPad that I sold because it was totally useless to me. What I need to do is manipulate large excel and powerpoint files as well as sending emails and watching streaming video. Is the Venue 8 pro capable of this?

This is only an opinion since I do not have a Dell Venue 8 Pro or any other Windows tablet.

I suspect you will find the screen resolution of 1280x800 to be a bit low for serious manipulation of large Excel files because you will need to scroll around a lot. I find working with spreadsheets on a laptop with a 1366x768 resolution screen to be too low for me to manipulate large Excel files. Additionally, it also limits my multitasking abilities since I cannot have multiple windows open on the screen at a single time.

I would say it is good enough for light manipulation on-the-go if you really do need to edit something. It's better than nothing. The small screen also means that it is probably a little difficult to read text numbers in the cells at normal zoom unless you have really good eyesight. Increasing the zoom to be able to see things more easily also means you will see less of the spreadsheet on the screen at a single time.

Lastly, there devices are currently limited to only 2GB of RAM. Microsoft is currently working the drivers for the 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 for tablets. When it comes out next year, there should be 4GB versions available. However, that would be the absolute limit since the Bay Trail CPU only supports 4GB of RAM.

Cherry Trail is the follow-up to Bay Trail and is expected in Q3 2014. It will support 8GB of RAM, reduced power consumption, increased CPU performance and better GPU performance. Of course, just because Cherry Trail can support 8GB of RAM, that does not necessarily mean a Windows tablet based on Cherry Trail with 8GB of RAM will absolutely be available for purchase.

Daniel Koucky

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks! What I really want is the surface pro 2. But at double the cost before a keyboard I am not sure it makes sense yet. Maybe I should stick with the laptop for another year and see if tech advances put what I need in a useful and affordable package.

Tim Botchev

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
i have the asus tablet which comes with the new windows 8.1, asus live updates, a built in keyboard which will turn ur asus into a notebook very handy, and a 3.0 usb, no extra battery in the dock though what a shame. It also comes with home and student 2013 office addition which is about $100 online. With a dell u only get the table which is $500 + keyboard $100 + office if u want $100=$700 compared to the $380 for the asus tablet with nearly the same specs.

Tim Botchev

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

im not sure which software the pro 2 runs, but make sure its not windows rt8 which is different from windows 8 or 8.1, never get rt, its not compatible with anything, might as well get a google chrome notebook

Tim Botchev

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

both are capable, the asus is just cheaper but both are the same except the asus comes with a keyboard

Justin Queen

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014