How to boot ISO files from USB

elliotronics

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Hi, ive seen many tuts that show how to make the USB bootable and copying files over to the root directory. I want to be able to boot from my USB with ISO files on it. I dont know if they make a program that will boot and can read the .iso file, but all ive seen are ones that make it bootable with all the files in the root directory.

Thanks, Elliot

Solution
ISO files themselves are not inherently bootable, you have to create a CD/DVD from them and boot from the CD/DVD. Where you see the words "bootable ISO file" it simply means the ISO file contains boot code which is transferred to the CD/DVD you create from it.

Since no burning software I know of supports burning an ISO image (in the correct way) to a USB storage device, you can't use that device in the way that you are trying to use it.
ISO files themselves are not inherently bootable, you have to create a CD/DVD from them and boot from the CD/DVD. Where you see the words "bootable ISO file" it simply means the ISO file contains boot code which is transferred to the CD/DVD you create from it.

Since no burning software I know of supports burning an ISO image (in the correct way) to a USB storage device, you can't use that device in the way that you are trying to use it.

Solution

elliotronics

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks, thats what i was affraid of. My goal was to have a flash that i could boot multiple iso's from. I guess when i couldnt find anything on Google that shouldve been my lightbulb. I just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS