Sign-Up for Valve’s Game Streaming Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I would think that performance-wise, this would be much better than a service like OnLive, since you don't necessarily have to have a beefy internet connection. You just need a router that supports high bandwidth, which most do nowadays.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

So long as you have a decent router (i.e. a high end Asus and not some crappy DLink) with gigabit LAN you will probably do fine.

I sign up for pretty much every Steam beta and have gotten in most of them (still waiting for SteamBox, never know I guess).

This looks like a good way to have a high powered PC run the game and a small HTPC stream it. Make it easier to say play platformers on the TV with a gamepad.

seshysama

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
wait. am i freaking missing something? Are they wanting us to spend hundreds on a steam box, just to stream the game from our $1000 gaming computer, TO the steam box, TO a monitor? THEN WHATS THE FREAKING POINT OF THE STEAM BOX. WHY NOT JUST HOOK THE GAMING COMPUTER TO THE MONITOR. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME, IM CONFUSED.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
@seshysama

I don't know about others, but I do not want my gaming PC in my living room. It's big, has a lot of wires going to it, and will not fit on my living room shelf. My wife has a thing for visible wiring, so all components are mounted and wired in a way that everything is hidden.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
^ you don't have to stream there are apparently a lot of devs who say they are going to port their stuff over to Linux (steamOS)
but if you have a big machine you could install steamOS (by itself or dual boot) on another computer in your house (like a laptop) and play all your games on that computer
steam boxes are also not locked to just steamOS you can install windows on it if you want

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

No I just work for a IT company.

Of course you can use a switch, if you need it. I don't as I have only 3 systems that can be hard wired so what's the purpose of a switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.