Best Tablet/Laptop hybrid for using Photoshop

iz7749

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I've been looking around alot for a tablet i can use photoshop on (to use as a graphics tablet with a screen), and after coming across the laptop/tablet hybrids i think one of these would be perfect. i know i could buy a graphics tablet for half or less the price and get a similar if not better accuracy results however its always easier and get better results when drawing on paper with a pencil so drawing on a touchscreen with a stylus should be the same (depending on if the touch screen is good enough(as with the massive wacom cintiq, but those are really expensive and not what im looking for as im learning rather than are already experienced)). my price range is around £1000, a little over is acceptable but higher than £1100 is pushing it unless its the perfect choice(so if you find something for £1250 please feel free to let me know but only if its exactly what im looking for)

i am doing a computer game development course and want it mainly for photoshop(to design concepts, create textures etc), with the ability to run 3d modelling/scuplting software(to preview it on the sae device quickly to see roughly what it looks like). i also want to do coding on it (learning) so decent/compfy to use keyboard, aswell as personal stuff aswell (browsing the net, watching videos etc)

ive watched a video of a guy using photoshop and zbrush to create a decent looking head sculplture all on a microsoft surface pro. now this seems perfect however ive been looking around alot to see if theres anything better out there. i have a pretty amazing desktop computer so any hardcore stuff such as 3D modelling(high poly), gaming, and other processes i will all do on that. however this is for an alternative for a graphics tablet. but also i want a laptop, however a tablet seemed good enough instead of a laptop as i never wanted it for extensive use, just casual personal use for when im not at my desktop. and then thats when i foudn about the hybrids which would also be able to combine the graphics tablet part aswell. (the graphics tablet im using as a comparison in terms of accuracy, price etc is the intuos 5 medium which is about £250, however as i said before an on screen device is much more preferable).

specifications i require are :

- decent processor capable of running photoshop smoothly, and other fairly extensive programs such as zbrush, 3ds max (but i understand that it wont run that well if its too complex as thats what i have my desktop for), but it would be nice to see it on the tablet instead of having to always copy across to the desktop (i5 or i7) preferably as thats what ive seen in most hybrids that fit what im looking for.

- good amount of RAM, preferably 8GB although ive seen a few with 6GB which should be good enough however lower than 4GB would be terrible, and i would only consider 4GB if the device had everything else i need but was a fair amount cheaper than the rest.

- decent touch screen, ive seen a few with gorila glass, which i believe is a great screen, wont scratch, hard to break, etc, must have multi-touch (most ive seen has 10 point multi-touch)

- 1080p resolution, or similar depending on the screen size. only less if its cheap(not really interested in worse res as i need it high to draw well on).

- screen size isnt a big issue other than has to be bigger than 10 odd inches. so its a decent size to draw on. ive seen some at about 20", which makes it difficult to carry around but hey, if the price is right and does everything i need i dont care about the size. although preferably being able to fit in a standard backpack(a4 paper size, slightly bigger) would be ideal (so about 13" to 15" ive seen a few at seem great (15" probably more ideal as its a bigger screen to draw on))

-price is very varying (£1100 max although as i said earlier, a little more if it has everything else(so please share if there are ones like it but below that price is much preferable)) (cheaper the better to an extent, sure cheaper is great but i doubt very much that the closer i get to £500 that it will do what i want, and most of the ones i found are around the £1000 mark)

-must have wifi (although im pretty sure every tablet/laptop hybrid or whatever should have atleast wifi, would be bad if it didnt) however if there is one with 3G for more, id be interested (but that isnt an issue, just an added bonus if it has it, ive seen a couple).

-coming with a pressure sensitive stylus is a must(or at least have the support for one), which nearly all ive seen does (however if it doesn't they're not that expensive, but i want to get the right one so if it comes with it it should be perfect)

- a fairly big hdd (the surface pro i was looking at had a 256GB) no lower than 128Gb as i would quickly run out of space, however i can easily use external harddrives to up storage by saving directly to that, however the bigger internal the better. ive seen a few with 500GB plus an SSD

- having a keyboard is a definite (yes i could buy a separate keyboard as i plan to do with a mouse(just in case for the mouse) however many of these keyboards that come with the tablet/laptop hybrids have backlit keys, a definte must have (as i use my desktop in the dark and find it hard to see the keys as they are not back-lit unless there is a really bright light overhead), and some also have extended battery life within the keyboards (not required but amazing benefit)) either removeable keyboard or a built in, doesnt really bother me however if its built in it must be decent and easy to use in tablet form, (the "tent" position of tablet use, really isnt something i want but such as the surface pro, which uses a kickstand and removeable keyboard is a great example)

- batterylife (although i will mostly be able to keep it plugged into the mains powersupply having a decent battery is preferable. the longer the better but i know it gets more expensive for that) 10hours would be ideal (but probably unrealistic for the power/performance i need without going into thousands), ive seen a few at 4 hours, 6 would be more preferable but ive seen alot at under 3 hours and although thats not a massive problem it would be annoying to never be able to use it away from a mains supply for more than an hour) atleast 4hours would have to be a definate unless it does everything else and is cheaper than others as when at uni i wont be guaranteed a power socket yet will need to use it there and thats around 7 hours in there.

as ive said above the microsoft surface pro seems great, the new surface pro 2 was £1000 and another £100 or so for the keyboard, but im sure there are other similar if not better tablet/laptop hybrids out there.

if you've got this far then thankyou for reading all the above, i know theres alot to read however i wanted to get across everything instead of having to keep answering peoples questions in the comments afterwards. anything you share i will look into and i thankyou again for taking the time to help me.
please post as many different tablets, tablet/laptop hybrids as you can (even if there not released yet as i cant buy anything will early january) and i will look at and compare them all and hopefully you can help me find the best for me. thanks

g-unit1111

Distinguished
as ive said above the microsoft surface pro seems great, the new surface pro 2 was £1000 and another £100 or so for the keyboard, but im sure there are other similar if not better tablet/laptop hybrids out there.

I highly doubt you'll find anything better than the Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 for what you want to do. The Surface uses an Intel i5, where pretty much every other Windows 8 tablet uses an Intel Atom Bay Trail CPU.

iz7749

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Thanks for your reply, but ive been comparing many different tablet/laptops and convertable laptops etc, and all of the ones ive looked at have an i5 or an i7, never seen one with the processeor you mentioned. and because all the ones ive looked at have similar specs im not sure which to get, it wouldnt have been an issues if the surface pro 2 was the only there with an i5 etc. the "samsung ativ q" seems pretty amazing, the only thing that is bad with that is 1 it doesnt have backlit keys which i need as my room is always rather dark, and can only see my keyboard when my main lights on and i dont want that on 24/7. and 2 if it had 8GB RAM as it only has 4, and i dont think 4 will run photoshop smoothly as a few videos ive found of tablets using photoshop are all rather jerky and have a long delay etc. thanks for your reply anyway, but the surface pro 2 is more of my safe backup incase i cant find anything better, but after looking around i think there are a few out there. also screen size 13.3 atleast preferably 15", as the surface is 10.6 as my i saw my friends 14" laptop today and thought the screen was tiny.

iz7749

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Thanks for your reply, yes ive done some research to see what the best device is for me, and the surface pro 2 (as i said before) is a device that would be good, and fits most of my requirements, but as i said in reply to "g-unit1111" i think it will be too small for what i really want, but if i cant find anything better then it will still do. the sony vaio flip or fit multi flip (depending on where you live) is a 15" convertable laptop/tablet that has everything i need, it also has the active digitizer you mentioned. the only 2 things i can fault with it is when in tablet mode it doesnt lie flat(not that big of an issues mainly it just looks bad like that) and the other is that in america it equates to about £800-£900, iin the UK its £1400 which is really irritating, but then most things are like that now. If you find any other device similar to the flip 15 please send me a link, but after all the ones ive looked at this seems the best as its customizable, so i can put only 8GB RAM instead of 16GB if i dont have enough money, etc.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well you're definitely not going to find anything with a bigger screen unless you want a convertible laptop like the Lenovo Yoga, Sony VAIO, or the Acer Aspire.

iz7749

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Thanks but there are quite a lot of convertable laptops, hybrids , etc out there with larger screen sizes than the surface pro 2's 10.6 " here is a comparison chart i found https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A3E71B4BBE25C114!107&app=Excel&authkey=!AAO1lowxloMJjhM are most of the devices on there have a larger screen size. i was expecting people to reply with a list of devices, or something they have used but comparing it to others etc. Thanks for your replys but as i have said many times the surface pro 2 is a good plan B device, there are lots of others out there with similar specs, bigger screens etc that would be better for me its just a case of me finding the right one, however seeing as ive never used any tablet/laptop, or even a tablet before its hard for me to decide without others help.
the surface pro 2 has the wacom active digitzer which is great but there are others with that, and after doing some reasearch the N-trig doesnt really seem that far off, bar it doesnt like pressure sensitivity in photoshop, but ive seen many alternatives to photoshop that work fine with it. so the best thing for people to comment is comparisons, there experience with them, etc. thanks again

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A3E71B4BBE25C114!107&app=Excel&authkey=!AAO1lowxloMJjhM

for some reason the link doesnt want to work, please replace the ... before the ! with 114 and it works. thanks

iz7749

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I havent gotten anything yet. the fujitsu t904 seems like the best bet, although not being released yet i am still wondering about the price, it is likely it will be more expensive than i can go although hoping that its cheaper than i think. i have also seen that wacoms cintiq companion is something that would also be a very good bet, the windows version not the hybrid which is android. although that is £1600 so is also rather expensive. and would also require an external keyboard. I am just going to wait and see what price the t904 comes out as, and hopefully i can save up for it if its not too expensive :)

mhorowitz

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

I am in the same boat as well, looking for a tablet/laptop convertible (ultrabook?) that I can use with a pressure sensitive stylus, that is not the Cintiq Companion, which is everything I would want, but at $2500US not affordable. I know some of the convertibles come with a stylus, a place to keep it, and a double digitizer (finger and stylus) input, and some do not. I was looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad line (yoga,or helix) which have a Wacom digitizer. The Dell XPS 11 or 12 look good, but its not a Wacom. The helix looks like just what I want, but has the older processor, NOT the Haswell 4th generation. If it did, I'd buy it today.

I was also looking at the Sony Vaio Duo 13 and the Flip. They have N-Trig digitizers, but if they work... The pivot format seems weak and fraught with potential future damage possibilities. Duo might be good.

The Samsung ATIV Q looks like it is cancelled.

The Surface Pro 2 looks OK, but not great. The Surface Pro 1 is on sale here for $499 right now, but is already outdated.It is confusing. Wish I could afford the Cintiq companion. Are you looking for a 4-in-1 solution like me? Laptop, Tablet, Desktop, and digitizer for art?

iz7749

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Im looking for a 3-in-1 rather than a 4, i dont need it to function like a desktop, i have a desktop to do all the heavylifting so to speak. but i do still need it to be able to run the programs i need well. spec wise ive seen a few that should handle them but after emailing companies and getting no replies as to how well they would handle them im not sure. The thing with N-trig devices is that the pressure sensativity doesnt work with certain software, i dont know what programs you intend to use but for the ones i need, photoshop, zbrush, etc N-trig is incompatible and therfore useless for me to buy a device with it. which limits the choice as if N-trig would work i would have gotten a device by now because there are several out there with all the other specs i want bar that. Still no further information on a uk release for the fujitsu lifebook t904 which is a shame as that still seems like the best contender. the more i wait i hope another device might be release which may suit our needs better, but that wont be till the end of the year if any :(

jetpack6

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I use the Asus EP121 - It's an older machine, but it tackles the 4-in-1 job very well, and they can be had for $500. I've had mine for a couple years and I love it; only downside is 3.5 hour battery life. I'm running Win 8.1 on it now.
The Surface screen is too dinky.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Please elaborate on that. The Surface Pro has a 1920 x 1080 screen that's rare for a tablet of that size and can have up to 512GB internal storage. It's the closest thing we're going to get to a full laptop replacement for the time being.

wordomouth

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
I am in the same boat looking to use AutoCAD, Illustrator and PHotoshop for same reason. Like you I want to be able to draw on the computer as I would be able to on a piece of paper with a pen. Was looking at the sony vaio multiflip. Had a vaio before and they are fairly sturdy... only issue is that when I started taking it out it was really noticed and eventually someone stole mine but hey insurance can sort that. It is more expensive than my budget but I like having larger screens available to me. What did you guys decide to go for in the end?

Paintcolour

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015
i have the exact same problem and i was thinking about the hybrids Acer Switch 10(this hhybrid has detachable screen which turns into a tablet) and Dell Inspiron 11 3147.What did you decide??