Do desktop applications work on Microsoft Surface 2?

Ryanclemente95

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hello everyone, i'm in the market for a new tablet since my 1st gen iPad is very outdated and was looking at the Microsoft Surface 2, but was wondering if it has any sort of limitations, more specifically if it is unable to download and use normal desktop applications, like VLC player, Spotify, [removed], iTunes, google chrome, etc. Will I be limited to only download apps from the Windows app store, even on the desktop part of windows 8.1, or will I be free to download from any website similar to a normal desktop or laptop running the same OS?

Suggesting the use of torrent and piracy applications is against the rules of the board. - G

Solution
Well there's two versions of the Surface - there's the Surace RT (inexpensive version) and the standard Windows 8 version (the more expensive one). The more expensive one runs the standard Windows x86 applications, where the RT version only runs apps from the Windows app store.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Well there's two versions of the Surface - there's the Surace RT (inexpensive version) and the standard Windows 8 version (the more expensive one). The more expensive one runs the standard Windows x86 applications, where the RT version only runs apps from the Windows app store.

Solution

Ryanclemente95

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Thank you! I think I have made my decision to go with the Surface 2 with windows 8.1. It just sounds more reasonable.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

That's the Surface Pro. I'd love to get one if I had the money. :lol: