How to setup 5.1 Surround Sound W/ Xbox One + Optoma Projector

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I am wondering what I need to set up 5.1 surround sound with an Xbox One and an Optoma H180x projector. Just to get it out of the way, I don't have an Xbox One yet, obviously, but I am planning ahead.

Surround sound: Onkyo HT-S3500

So I think S/PDIF (optical) is the best audio to use. What cables and how would I set up these devices?

Christiaan Lourens

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
All depends on the system you eventually pick my man...

My suggestion would be HDMI (for image so TV to XBOX One , it would optimally be the best)

With a optical cable for the sound (Xbox to Surround sound)

AV cables don't have 5.1 surround sound capabilities and will only project stereo sound.

I highly recommend NOT buying any cables right now because you might receive them for free within the box (depending on speakers you purchase) so rather buy the hardware first and then set it all up.

Planning is good, but don't plan too far ahead (so far ahead you forget to choose which sound system you want)

I use a Samsung tallboy set and love it (they are affordable), but in the end it's really up to you.

garrzilla

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Ya, I decided on the Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 speakers. It has HDMI in and out, so should I run HDMI from Xbox to speakers, then HDMI from speakers to projector? Can I pass video through the speakers?