'BadBIOS' System-Hopping Malware Appears Unstoppable

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
"In fact, the only thing that could stop the malware's spread, according to Ruiu, was disabling a computer's speakers and microphone."

That's when I stopped reading and posted this comment. Quack job!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
This sounds pretty fake to me. However a localized high energy electromagnetic field of varying frequencies could cause enough havoc to all computer systems nearby. This could account for lost files, random reboots and just strange behavior. Even if it were audio induced code it would have to be purposely detected, stored, understood, compiled and executed by the receiver intentionally to RUN.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
In order for this to work there would have to be a pre-existing exploit. Like say in the audio driver that would be listening all the time. Such transmission would be really slow. All the computers would have to have either a similar driver issue of multiple chips and manufactures.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Halloween was yesterday. The "scary" stories are a bit late.

I'm a bit more worried about real malware, like Cryptolocker. That one is nasty.

Paul Connell

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
Yup, as has been suspected, this is utter BS. First, it says he only disconnected the initially infected systems from his network *after* it had already apparently infected others. And then the article states that he continued to transfer files (and the infection) using memory sticks. And if the virus could survive system wipes, then why would he assume it was being re-spread through the speakers as opposed to simply resurfacing from the initial infection?

And spreading through the speakers? Come on. Unless there's something already on the receiving end continually monitoring the speakers to receive, compile and run the code, it's nonsense.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Add me to the list calling BS at least how this is written. I can see it plausible that the virus is using some USB controller hack to get in from any USB flash drives etc like the PS3 jail breaks did. Transmitting ultrasonic frequency via PC speakers for communication isn't going to happen unless you have some serous studio monitor quality speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.