Lenovo y510p or y500? Ultrabay?

qtng0z

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I know theres been alot of threads about these two and I know that the y510 is the most recent but there's this thing I'm hearing about an Ultrabay only (don't quote me on this) available on the y500 and not the 510. Is that correct? And can someone explain to me what the Ultrabay is? I heard its another slot that replaces a dvd drive and can store in another graphics or something?

And which would you suggest? y510 or y500?
Battery life wise? Heat temp? etc.
I want to be able to play games older titles and future ones as well.
Heard alot of rave reviews from both, and now I just need to decide.
Both also fits a great budget.

y510p
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

y500
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y500/

I want to make a decision before this sale ends! :O
Thank you for reading.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Y510p is better, largely (in my opinion, there are some other better things), due to the better cpu (1 generation newer).

Ultrabay is kind of like a caddy type of thing that goes in the optical slot for lenovos (maybe others as well, but lenovo calls it ultrabay). Default usually comes with an optical drive in there, but if you buy the proper sized caddy then you can slide a number of accessories in there (assuming your battery can handle it) such as another fan, battery, different optical drive, even another gpu.

They are pretty much the same laptop from what I can tell, the y510 is just a newer version. As gaming laptops they will both get warm (the y510p slightly more so due to slightly better hardware). If you put 2 gpu in the y510p then it will likely be a little furnace, although that makes sense considering the 2 gpu. Battery is pretty good, although as a 15" gaming laptop, especially with dual gpu, it's not going to achieve anything stellar like lenovo's thinkpads.

I have the 14" version (y410p) and would definitely recommend it. y510p is the same thing just bigger and a bit more powerful. It should be able to play quite a bit on decent settings. If you want a smaller version look into the 14" y410p (that i just mentioned).

qtng0z

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, thats what I thought aswell. So once I receive the laptop, the ultrabay is like an empty slot? That I'll have to buy a separate driver, gpu, etc.? Or will it be included with something?

So pretty much, the Ultrabay replaces the usually CD Drive on computer with other accessories like gpu, fan, etc?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
No, default configuration from lenovo comes with an optical (dvd usually) in the optical slot. You can slide that out and pop in a compatible ultrabay caddy filled with your choice accessory (or keep the optical in there).

Basically if it's a lenovo which says ultrabay then that means you can switch around the stuff in the optical slot, assuming it's compatible with you computer. (and drivers are free, they get downloaded from the manufacturer (lenovo) website). The accessories arent free (no one gives out free gpu), you either buy them while you are configuring the laptop on lenovo's site or buy it separately and put it in yourself.

knight_ironic

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

hey, im thinking of getting a y410p/y510p myself. May i know what kind of accessories that you are using or those readily available? Cause i heard that the ultrabay is not that useful and not much accessories can be supported.