Surface 2 (RT)

camohanna

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
So I have been looking into the new Surface RT (Surface 2) and it looks like a decent item. I have recently brought an Asus Ultrabook and find that since it has poor graphics is not a very good gamer ( i knew this when i brought it). I use this a school for taking notes as well as doing assignments etc. Thats what caused me to look into the surface, as I use OneNote heavily (no more school books anymore :) ) and there is great multitasking on the surface. I like the upgrades from the original RT, with more battery life and faster performance. I know the limitations of RT (no full desktop programs etc.) but during my 2 months with my ultrabook i have found the only thing I do with it is 1. Do school work 2. Watch tv programmes, movies, youtube, twitch etc. 3. We browsing, emails etc. Since i have a gaming desktop, i use that at home and was thinking that the Surface 2 would be much better as a replacement for an ultrabook.

The bottom line is, will this be a good choice?

Solution

The thing you have to keep in mind with the standard Surface 2 before buying: it does not run regular, full Windows. It runs a locked version of Windows called "Windows RT" and can only be used with apps from the Windows app store. You cannot run EXE files on the device. Which means no iTunes, no Office legacy applications, no Steam, no Photoshop, no Firefox, and so on and so on. If you can afford one get the Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2.

camohanna

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

So it would be fine to get the Surface 2? I heard that all Surface's come with stylus's

g-unit1111

Distinguished

The thing you have to keep in mind with the standard Surface 2 before buying: it does not run regular, full Windows. It runs a locked version of Windows called "Windows RT" and can only be used with apps from the Windows app store. You cannot run EXE files on the device. Which means no iTunes, no Office legacy applications, no Steam, no Photoshop, no Firefox, and so on and so on. If you can afford one get the Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2.

Solution

camohanna

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, thats fine by me. I only use my laptop for movies and office and web browsing anyway.