Best smartphone on 2G/Edge?

seanog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Which smartphone performs best on 2G/EGDE for data package transfer? I'm not very technical, just looking for a good place to start. Thanks

Solution

Is budget isn't an issue, then the note 3 is probably the best phone at the moment. The HTC One is nice, but...

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
If it's just for 2G network, almost any smartphone today will do the same, because 2G network is already matured. But why 2G? Unless you have a plan that only allows 2G connectivity, go with 3G or 4G (LTE) networks. Most smartphones nowdays already supporting 3G, some of them on 4G (LTE). Depending on which country you live in, and the mobile carrier you have, to determine if the smartphone will work on your area.

seanog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

@ipwn3r456 : Thanks for that. Based in Ireland and nature of work means that we will have to operate in both urban and rural areas. Network coverage in the urban areas is fine, as you say 3G or 4g (LTE), but in the rural areas we are depending a lot on 2G. So i was just wondering if people had any experiences, either good or bad, with specific devices and their performance on 2G?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Ah, I get it. Mobile Carriers just don't really care about the rural areas. Do you have a specific budget? This can help me a bit. But really, any smartphones these days will work fine with 2G, I haven't heard anyone saying that 2G on this smartphone is faster, or 2G on this smartphone is slower, etc.

seanog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work demands a bit crazy. Budget isn't an issue. To be honest, I'm interested in the Samsung Galaxy Note, but need to have a good alternative(s) to compare and contrast. Was thinking of the HTC One? Both seem to tick all the boxes. Also maybe LG Optimus G Pro? Any opinions?

seanog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, work demands a bit crazy. Budget isn't an issue. To be honest, I'm interested in the Samsung Galaxy Note, but need to have a good alternative(s) to compare and contrast. Was thinking of the HTC One? Both seem to tick all the boxes. Also maybe LG Optimus G Pro? Any opinions?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Is budget isn't an issue, then the note 3 is probably the best phone at the moment. The HTC One is nice, but in terms of software and hardware, the note 3 is much better. The note 3 is got 2.2 (or 2.3) ghz quad core snapdragon 800 or exynos 5, and 3gb of ram, while the HTC One has a quad core snapdragon 600 (not sure about the speeds, I believe it's between 1.6 - 1.9ghz), and only 2gb of ram. In my own opinion, htc tends to do bad when it comes to software updates, and while samsung is doing good. I would prefer the note 3.

Solution

seanog

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Thaks for your help on this one. Seems pretty straight forward from here.
:)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Have fun with your new toy. :)