What Is Google Chromecast? (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Had mine since release and use it all the time. Using a smartphone and apps as a remote control is light-years ahead of the clunky interface on something like Roku or Google TV. Can't wait for more apps.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Plex will let you stream video from your computer to your Roku or Apple TV. It looks like Plex may be deployed on Chromecast as well, but is not at this time. Plex would make the Chromecast a lot more attractive.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Chromecast is one of the first electronic devices I have been genuinely excited about in a very long time. And having used mine for a little while now (I missed the initial wave of orders before they went out of stock) I must say I am extremely impressed. Had it up and running and streaming video within five minutes of opening the box, and it works like a charm from both my phone and laptop.

bluehairspecial

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Cool for people that don't already have Xbox, Roku, or Apple TV. Not sure how it matters to those that already have one of these though

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The question I have is can I use my remote for my tv to control my pc if I want to choose another movie? Cause I dont have to get up to change movies (assuming I had netflix) with my ps3 remote, or my samsung share manager I can change movies to what ever Ive shared out to my tv over my home network from my pc with the tv remote. Share manager doesnt do streaming and if I add netflix Id really rather not use my ps3 because the fan sounds like its trying to take off even just watching a movie. So this device could work for me if I can use my tv remote to navigate the menus.

glenn_n

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Two things sold me on this superb device: remote control and Google Music. The remote controls for Roku and WD Live are just awful. With Chromecast your remote control is your smartphone (Android or iPhone), tablet, or computer. No more agony of scrolling thru lists with up/down arrows. And Google Music seems better than Pandora (although more expensive), because I can upload my own music and I can play entire albums that I don't even own; in addition, GM has the "radio station" features of Pandora.

One other thing I've used it for was to watch a show on Xfinity (if you're a Comcast subscriber). I started the video on my computer, full screen, clicked the Chomrecast button, and there it was on my TV. Audio quality excellent, video seemed a bit better than standard def.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Seems a lot of people like to suck on Google's teat. You want one thing you can't do with Chromecast? How about use any local media? Or just use any service that isn't palling around with Google? Chromecast is pretty much limited to a handful of the most popular services that nearly any device can play these days. Chromecast is the solution for 1st gen Nexus devices that Google would not put Miracast on because they want to force consumers into using their own services. Oh, but there isn't any alternative without spending a whopping hundred for a Roku because you couldn't wait for a sale? Except there are. Numerous Android Mini PCs are on the market that allow Miracast and will allow you to do everything Chromecast does and much, MUCH more and some cost under $50. Nice advert though.

semperfi4evr

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I can do everything this does by merely connecting my laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable. I play my Netflix and Hulu Plus and all my online games and content and YouTube at 1080p. I also have my cam mounted on the TV so I can video chat directly thru the HDTV so why add another component that in the end won't allow me to do all I do with just a HDMI cable...

Diana Williford

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Have had my Roku for several years now and don't know what folks are talking about it being clunky. It is about 1 inch high and 3.5 inches in diameter. I get 1080.
ALSO...Retired my Roku to my daughters TV and I bought a Smart TV which doesn't need a Roku or a Chromecast. I have immediate access to Netflix and Youtube, Hulu if I subscribed and also can switch back and forth between basic cable and internet content. Can also interface with mobile devices and upload via laptop and/or usb port.
ALSO...my Smart TV is finally wireless all the way. YAY! Hate cords and plug ins!

susad2985

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
My Samson TV does not allow WiFi to it. so the Chromecast and WiFi I got doesn't work on my Samson TV so can I connect it to a DVR? and then route it to my TV? It would help me out if I knew for sure.

susad2985

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Ok, so I went to Best buy they said that if I get a Roku 3 it will work. I should take back the Chromecast and get the Ruku3. So my Samson TV will allow it from the Ruku 3. Does that sound right?

janet1960

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I received my Samsung Google Chromebook last yr for christmas and then this year I received the Chromecast which unfortunately they do not tell you that this new little device is not compatible with samsung chromebook. You would think that if it is chrome then the chromecast would work.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Since I don't have GoogleTV, this would provide me a way to stream movies and other media I've purchased via Google Play, so that alone is worth the price of admission since my Roku doesn't have a way to stream media from Google Play.

lostinfilms

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Google Home is software which shares the similar function as Chromecast. It's the best way to stream audio. Other apps can't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.