Can I upgrade the RAM on my Asus A45V laptop from 2 GB to 4 GB?

kureoshin

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi, my laptop is an Asus A45V. It currently has 2 GB of DDR3 ram inside it. I don't know how to find out more about the RAM and what kind of information would be useful to list here. But, according to CPU-Z, the DRAM frequency is 798.3 MHz. That is the frequency that is shown most of the time but it fluctuates.

I'd like to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB and my laptop runs on Windows 8. So, what kind of RAM should I be getting? Do I need to look for a 4 GB stick or two 2 GB sticks? Also, I tried looking for a little hatch that I could screw open underneath the laptop but I couldn't find one. So, I am not very sure if I can even install more RAM into the laptop in the first place. Anyway thanks.

Edit: My Windows 8 version is 64 bit and the processor I'm using is an i5 3210M @ 2.5 GHz (in case that was of any help)

Edit 2: I managed to find the hatch and open it. I took out the ram stick and on the back it said 'DDR3 2 GB - 1600'. According to Speccy and CPU-Z, the frequency is 798.3 MHz. Speccy says that there are 4 memory slots but I think that's an error and it's suppose to be 2. That's how many slots I saw when I opened the hatch. Also, I found out that the model of my laptop is a K45VD.

Hi, yes, you can.
According the specs, it supports up to 8 GB. However, Windows 8 (if not x64) can handle only 4 GB.
If you'll find a similar stick with the one installed, buy another 2GB. If not, buy a 4GB one, but I suggest taking the notebook to a local shop for the memory upgrade.