Why Intel and Apple Won't Replace Cable TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
While people howl about the cost of cable, the truth is, providers like ESPN charge an arm and a leg per sub to cover their costs of providing the NFL, etc.. and it goes up every year. Take it from a cable guy.

snajper69

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Short sighted article, markets change and so dose people preferences. I have no need for cable and online content gets better every year.

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Saying that the service over the internet will be bad and need buffering and stuff is false. How many providers already use the internet to bring you tv? I know that in Canada Bell and Rogers already use the internet since it is a better way for them than their old cable or satellite dishes.

What i think is going on is that current cable companies still have too much power and are the ones blocking Intel from launching the service. Just look at Netflix, they have to remove a lot of movies because cable companies won't allow Netflix to have movies it played on their cable.

michael908

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Internet will never replace cable in Canada at least is because the cost of having unlimited internet is the same as having cable. The service providers force to you to have a bundle for unlimited internet which costs $150 with rogers in the GTA. If you want just unlimited internet they charge $150. Either way you have to pay $150 so it's better to just get the cable with it.

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
michael908 , October 2, 2013 9:33 AM
Internet will never replace cable in Canada at least is because the cost of having unlimited internet is the same as having cable. The service providers force to you to have a bundle for unlimited internet which costs $150 with rogers in the GTA. If you want just unlimited internet they charge $150. Either way you have to pay $150 so it's better to just get the cable with it.

-----------------------

In New Brunswick you can have unlimited internet for less than $50/month.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
History has proven that most flexible options prevail over static ones. Cable is very static, while Internet provided content is excellent as its very dynamic. Besides, it's way cheaper to get everything from the Internet (on demand) than trust the cable companies will actually know what you want.

Sapping be damned.

Cheers!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
ROFL@these stupid articles. I see 38% that at some point will be on netflix, if not something else and more as Google etc add more people to the gbit internet etc world. The whole point of these services is WATCH WHAT YOU WANT, WHEN YOU WANT and CHEAPER than cable :) Our queue on netflix is constant at 500, and now we're just starting up multiple profiles to get around that limit (if I added all the documentaries/nature stuff I want to watch i'd fill 5 queues). There is so much to watch it's ridiculous and it's just as reliable as cable tv (which for us went out a few times a year anyway).

I wish Apple would roll out ISP service copying google, so they could race to see who gets the most of USA and of course offer gbit internet and TV over it. I want cable dead or changed. I have no need for 20 spanish channels etc crap that is useless to me. I will never go back. I never pay for something I don't want now that I've cut the cord :) My parents would say the same. Cable needs to be $30 or they have no hope of ever seeing a dime from me again. I could survive on netflix alone. They continually remove old stuff and add more new stuff so I doubt I'd ever need anything else. We have ears for OTA (cbs, abc, nbc, fox, cw etc etc) but I haven't used them in months. I prefer watching shows that are OVER so I can watch from beginning to end. My family has no patience for shows that take another year for the next episode...LOL. Netflix etc spoils you. Watching something like say, Fringe (5 seasons) over 3-4 weeks is pretty awesome vs. 5yrs over TV/Cable...ROFL. Did I mention there are no commercials? :)

Cable TV is dead, they just won't know it for a few more years...ROFL. IF they survive it will be because they cut all the crap I don't need and sell it to me for 1/3 what they do now and maybe less, since I can get amazon VOD and Netflix for basically $18/mo (and the Amazon deal nets you free 2 days shipping on anything you buy, even better if you get a lot of crap from amazon yearly). These two cover so much I'll be dead before I can watch it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.