Samsung S3 Korean carrier?

barhopper

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hey guys. I recently bought a Samsung s3 through amazon which was detailed as 'Factory Unlocked International Version' and when I got it it was in some Asian language (lets assume Korean). After managing to get into settings and language and changing the language to English, I still found that it has some apps in Korean and sometimes I see things in the notification bar in Korean characters.
I am assuming that it has a Korean carrier as a base installed (instead of something like AT&T or Sprint). My question is: Is there a way to remove this? and have it in plain English all of it?
Some sort of reset or re-installation of software in English? I don't know much about Samsung phones btw.

Solution
Hi again!
Nooo! You dont have to buy a new phone at all! Hehe
Ya but first you have to understand this,
For an example, in Windows OS, there are two types of users as Administrator and guest. Right?
Likewise when a phone is first sold, the users are given with the Guest's rights of accessibility to the system files, the phones flash light etc. But if you need those administrative access, to install a new firmware, you have to take the phone into a process called "rooting the phone". ok?
So if your phone has already been rooted, just search for an installation tutorial for a good custom firmware in youtube

Thats it! :)

trailbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi there!
Ya I'm not a Samsung guy too.
But as far as I know, your phone has been rooted and installed with a custom Korean firmware (operating system).
I'm not sure whether you will have get it rooted again, bu I suggest you should get a new firmware in English. And I'm pretty sure that there are so many custom (mostly English) firmwares out there for your S3 with awesome tweaks.

All the best! :)

barhopper

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Do you mean like buying a new phone?
Or are you saying I can reinstall the firmware in english? and if so, how can I do this?

trailbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hi again!
Nooo! You dont have to buy a new phone at all! Hehe
Ya but first you have to understand this,
For an example, in Windows OS, there are two types of users as Administrator and guest. Right?
Likewise when a phone is first sold, the users are given with the Guest's rights of accessibility to the system files, the phones flash light etc. But if you need those administrative access, to install a new firmware, you have to take the phone into a process called "rooting the phone". ok?
So if your phone has already been rooted, just search for an installation tutorial for a good custom firmware in youtube

Thats it! :)

Solution

barhopper

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Ok thanks. And to be sure, the phone will still work properly no matter what carrier it has if I change the device language I should understand everything and everything should work the same, right?

trailbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

Yes exactly! Everything's the same other than now you have access to do more extra tweaks to the device if you want.

Okay? Good Luck!