iPhone 5s Camera Loses to Point-and-Shoot in Low Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Strange article. If you were going to compare a phone with a point and shoot camera why not use a lumia 1020? It sells itself on it's photographic ability.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Are we surprised? It is a phone that can take pictures and there is nothing wrong with that. Those pictures may be low quality but are great for slapping on your facebook page, twitter account or other immature lifeless outlets.

I love seeing a color inaccurate, lens-flare filled, blocky pictures of someone's ham sandwich!

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
The quality of the lens has a large impact on the picture. If you want to compare the iPhone 5s Camera to a Point-and-Shoot in Low Light find one with a similar lens design.

A Point-and-Shoot Camera in Low Light is always going to win due to the great lens area and better lens.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Or just use a Galaxy S4 Zoom which is a point and shoot on one side and a S4 mini on the other - if you don't mind the extra 10x zoom thickness.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
@jldevoy Because they are comparing a point and shoot camera to "the most amazing camera on a smartphone yet that will replace all other cameras with it's revolutionary features because it's Apple" smartphone. You know, just to see what the hype is all about.

Even point-and-shoot are better cameras than almost every smartphone, it's lame to say otherwise. But I think I'll just keep using my Galaxy, just because it's already in my pocket (and keep cursing its bad low light pictures :/ ).

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Or just use a Galaxy S4 Zoom which is a point and shoot on one side and a S4 mini on the other - if you don't mind the extra 10x zoom thickness.

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
At the very least, compare the iphone5s to a Nokia 920/925 for low light. If it beats them, then fair do's but I'm doubtful that'll happen. This comparison seems a bit lacking when there are other products on the market at cheaper price points.

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Yes, so then this comparison should at the very least, look at similar devices that are known for low light pictures. Samsung Galaxy S4 (not so good), Nokia 920 and Nokia 925 (probably better than the iphone).

To be comparing this directly to a point and shoot without using other devices as a basis to back your findings on border on bias towards one manufacturer regardless of the outcome of the findings.

seancaptain

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Hey folks. Interesting points. Since the big discussion in photography right now is about cellphones killing point-and-shoots, we decided to test whether a smartphone - especially Apple's much-hyped iPhone 5s - can match a point and shoot, hence that comparison rather than to another smartphone - which is a different topic. - Sean

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Phone Camera's are likely to kill point and shoot's not because they're better... but because they're "in your pocket" (and more megapixels isn't going to fix the problem, only some revolutionary lens tech would have any chance of doing that). For low cost imaging, "in your pocket" is 90% of the battle.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
If your going to carry another piece of equipment then skip the point and shoot and carry a DSLR. The only exception to this is in bright daylight if you need a long zoom.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I dislike apple as next as the guy who on toms but unless apple went around bragging how it can beat that specific P&S then this seems a bit pointless, lots of pun intended.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I'd like to see the same test done on a Lumia 1020, the current reigning king of the cameraphones, as well. I think it will still lose to a dedicated camera, but by a much smaller margin.

Kieran Warren

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
I am no where near an apple fan, but this is just stupid, what did they expect? The money apple spend researching and developing the camera on an iPhone is a fraction of that for a normal camera, as well as it being a fraction of the size compared to a point and shoot.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
No surprise here. Unless the phone is built around a camera (like the Lumia 1020, or the Galaxy S4 Zoom), the comparison is moot. Whatever Apple says, this is just a phone.
It will be interesting to repeat the test once the new Samsung Isocell (I think) sensor hits the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.