S4 vs One vs Suggestions + Android OS updates

Squeeky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I'm in the market for a new phone, my first smartphone. I've been eyeing both the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One, but I have a slight preference towards the One (build quality, stereo speaker arrangement, slightly more consistent performance, etc.) That being said, both have what I'd like in a phone: a great camera, a beefy processor, a high resolution/pixel dense screen, and a long battery life.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpiPzgBJU9M

I'd like to hear some opinions on both phones, as well as any suggestions for a different phone. Spec-wise, I don't absolutely need best-of-the-best, but high end components are preferable.

On a side note: Is it possible to update an Android 4.1 phone to 4.2, or any future versions of Android, or am I pretty much stuck with what comes in the box?

Solution
personally I prefer the s4 vs the one, Samsung are also better with future OS upgrades, for instance updating their (comparatively) ancient s3 right up to 4.3 is really awesome.

the HTC one's camera is a tad average at only 4Mp I mean the low light performance is great, but most reviews pan the good (and to be honest most used anyway) light everyday performance. you're getting a better all round shooter with the gs4.

screen wise, they're both phenomenal. personally the gs4 wins due to the slightly enhanced colors makes looking at the screen really Pop!

if you're a heavy user you would also appreciate the ability to pop out the battery on the gs4, I mean, it will last all day, but the ability to carry a spare is worth its weight...

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
personally I prefer the s4 vs the one, Samsung are also better with future OS upgrades, for instance updating their (comparatively) ancient s3 right up to 4.3 is really awesome.

the HTC one's camera is a tad average at only 4Mp I mean the low light performance is great, but most reviews pan the good (and to be honest most used anyway) light everyday performance. you're getting a better all round shooter with the gs4.

screen wise, they're both phenomenal. personally the gs4 wins due to the slightly enhanced colors makes looking at the screen really Pop!

if you're a heavy user you would also appreciate the ability to pop out the battery on the gs4, I mean, it will last all day, but the ability to carry a spare is worth its weight in gold for an on the run kinda guy, or if you intend on making allot of calls.

in the same vein ability to enhance the onboard storage is useful for carrying movie files, and if you go on holiday bit needing to email yourself photos, just stick a cheap 32gb micro sd in there are you're away laughing.

interface wise it's really really up to you, I like touch wiz, even with the gimmicks..like smart stay, and auto rotate are just useful. if not necessary.

hope that helps!

Solution

Zasmatic

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Ive been using the s4 for nealy 6 months now :D
Im really happy that i got it, i had the same thoughts your having. The htc camera may only be 5mp but the software makes it amazing, so i would deem it to have very similar camera quality as the s4. The only difference being that the s4 has much larger photos, taking up more space. The 13mp is just showy, its the quality of the lense and software that makes the difference.
The speaker on the s4 is quite something, its really loud and doesnt distort. Well at least so far so good. The Htc has beats audio ( which you can actually install on any phone, all it really is is an equilizer :p) where the s4 as far as im aware doesnt have anything like that. So when i listen to music it should in all theory sound better.
I would be lost without having a removable battery and an sd card slot, it makes for Rooting and swapping android versions sooo much easier. I would be lost without it. That and it makes replacing it easy.
Personally i hate touchwiz, but its all personal preference.
As for updates, if you dont like touchwiz you can buy the pure android version of the s4. And with that version you would be one of the first to recieve any new updates. Altho samsung has said that the s4 will be getting android 5 key lime pie. But that may take a while for them to develop.

So all being said, im still an s4 person. I love the inferred beamer, awesome speaker, and a full hd 1080p screen. Removable battery and an sd card slot is a must