HDMI Audio stops working after waking computer from "Hibernate"!

sam210

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I put my Windows 7 laptop (Sony Vaio VPCEA1S1E) into "Hibernate" mode yesterday, for the first time ever.

Upon waking up from Hibernate, suddenly no sound can transfer to my TV (Sony Bravia) via HDMI. The sound only plays on my laptop, not on my TV.

And, when I go to Control Panel > Sounds, under "Playback", the "ATI HDMI Output" is shown as "not plugged in", even though the cable is connected.

This is the first time in 3 years I am having any problems with HDMI. Previously it was immediately detected as soon as I plugged the cable into my laptop, and everything worked automatically. So waking the laptop from Hibernate mode has triggered this problem.

How can I get the audio to work again?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Does removing the HDMI cable, then plugging it back in work?

Does rebooting work?

It could be that hibernation caused the audio drivers to stop working properly so perhaps re-installing them will fix the issue.

sam210

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Thanks for the response.

>> Does removing the HDMI cable, then plugging it back in work?

No.

Rebooting does not work either.

I read elsewhere that reinstalling drivers is what I should try, but I'm really not tech-savvy and I'm having a very hard time understanding how I do this exactly.
Could you give me some guidance on this?

It seems your model is only sold in Europe. Sony's website is not very intuitive...

I will assume your native language is english and your are in the UK so you have the english version of Windows 7 installed. Click the link below for all the "LATEST DOWNLOADS" available for the laptop. Click Windows 7 then scroll all the way down. In the driver section you should see Graphics Driver (ATI) - 8.723.8.2. Download it.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/vpcea1s1e_w/updates

After downloading, click the Windows button, then click Control Panel. Once in the Control Panel click "Uninstall a program" under Programs.

Double click "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" (or anything that states AMD Catalyst) to uninstall.

Reboot the laptop after the driver has been uninstalled.

Launch the AMD drivers that you downloaded and simply install using the default options it provides.

That should fix the issue. There's always Sony support as well...