Problems with phone

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I posted this several days ago, but for some unknown reason, am not able to access the thread I started, so apologies to the person who did finally respond. This also contains an update about my phone and it's battery:

I'm in a quandry. I've had my Samsung Droid Charge for 2 years and while I qualify for an upgrade, I thought to myself it's time to root and see what this thing can do (and hopefully get some extended life out of it).
So I read thru a lot of root threads and how-to's, and was about ready to start setting up, went to connect my phone to my computer with the USB cable that came with the phone (which I have also used for 2 yrs) and lo and behold, there's no connection to the computer. Computer recognizes something trying to connect via USB, but notification on the computer that pops up says "USB Device Not Recognized." Now, when I used to connect to any computer, a screen on my phone would come on asking if I wanted to connect the phone as a mass storage device or media player. That screen doesn't come up any more when I plug in the USB. The phone beeps as if it was connecting but then just indicates that it is charging. I've never had any issues with this before.

I've gone thru the rigamorole of trying different USB ports, different computers, different USB cables. Nothing doing on any of those. Tried setting the phone on "ask on connection" and "mass storage" on different computers. Nothing there either. Tried with USB debugging on and off on the phone. No dice. I have even tried a couple of complete hard resets of the phone, and still will not connect to any computer. Based on some info from other forums I even tried downloading some Samsung USB drivers to my computer (which I never had before and had no problem connecting without), and they don't even seem to install properly. message I get when the install finishes says "Device driver was not successfully installed" and then just shows a list of my printer drivers????? My printers work fine - don't know what the hell that Samsung's Mobile Phone driver has to do with our HP printer.

Spent 45 useless minutes at the Verizon store yesterday only to have their "tech" guy give me the toll free number to Verizon and tell me it was their tech support number. Spent another hour on the phone when i eventually got to a tech support person only to be eventually told that I'm eligble for an upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas for me at this point? Frustrated by having spent waaaaaaay too much time on this already. I'd really like to go root, but I don't see how unless I can determine how to get this thing to connect to a computer again.

UPDATE: Part of the reason I started this process was that after two years, the original battery was draining really quickly with minimal use, and the battery power screen that shows during the charge cycle (with power off) was looking weird - it was showing battery with no charge, then all of a sudden would show partial depending on how long it was connected. Maybe thats what it's always done, but for some reason it looks different to my. So I purchased a brand new battery. For a couple of days it "seemed" like the new battery was holding power, but when I go to charge it, that charge screen is still doing the same thing. On top of that the last two days my battery drained really quickly again, with very minimal use (Went from full charge at the start of the day to about 50% after 5 hours just checking a few texts and emails). I don't know if that factors into why it's not connecting to the computer, but I find it unlikely that both the connection and battery problems are coincidental.

WesleyBishop

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Okay so after reading through your original post toughly looks like the only thing not tried yes is a factory rest / master reset. I would backup everything to SD and perform a master reset to see if this resolves the issue.

WesleyBishop

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Hopefully one of the moderators will swing in here and give you some better ideas sorry but that is all the ideas I had.

PyroSpear

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Well, this happens to me quite often, I just have to keep pulling out the USB and reattaching it. As far as I know this mostly occurs when I use a different USB cable. I dunno for sure I assumed that because I have an old Anrdoid it requires a cable of the similar level for the PC to recognize it. Because when I used my mums Android cable it said Device not recognized and it only recognized it after repeatedly reattaching it. After that I found my cable and the moment I attached it my computer recognized it.

I have a simialar problem, even though my USB connects and I can use the mass storage option, the USB debugging doesn't work and I can't seem to root my phone. I want to know if there's a way I can force my USB debuggong to work :/