Looking for a Free/Low Cost Program that scans drivers and checks for a more updated version

manicmike

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I'm looking for something lightweight that I can download the .exe install to my flash driver or run directly from my flash drive to check drivers for clients, friends, family etc.

I have a handful of different programs that offer the feature, but I'm not looking to install something like "Razer Game Booster" on some little old lady's computer after removing a virus for her.

Requirements:
- No registration requirement before use (will most likely be uninstalled after running) UNLESS it can be run directly from my Flash Drive
- If paid, no limit License (can install it on as many PCs as I want w/o buying more licenses)
- Not bundled into a larger program such as Razer Game Booster

Thanks is advance!

The only good batch driver setups I have seen were from the vendors, and the best I have used is from Lenovo. Just make sure all the computers you work on are IBM or Lenovos :)

The rest are either tools to get spyware on the computer or don't work properly (some actually cause crashes because they install a driver that's "close" to what you need but not the right one).

manicmike

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I HAD (keyword "had") a nice one called Driver Genius, picked it up on a CD-ROM from the clearance bin at an Office Depot a while back (it was like $5) and it works great on Win 98/2000/NT/XP/ME, but it doesn't work on Vista and Up.

There is a newer version of the program for ~$50, I was just being a cheap skate

Paying for driver manager software just doesn't make sense when the drivers are free from the official sources. Only makes sense if you can't find a driver any other way (such as, for example, you can't identify the make & model of a specific device).

manicmike

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

The biggest issue I've run into is people buying a Win 8 laptop/desktop then installing Win 7 on it. Vendors like HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc only offer drivers for windows 8 on their sites.

I can manually hunt down Windows 7 drivers for most hardware, but it is rather time consuming, hence looking for a tool that would make my job easier

"The biggest issue I've run into is people buying a Win 8 laptop/desktop then installing Win 7 on it. Vendors like HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc only offer drivers for windows 8 on their sites."

Actually, some of the major PC manufacturer's do have drivers for both versions of Windows depending on the model, but owners must understand that they should check there first before downgrading. I'm always telling people that on the forums - they need educating in that regard.

And you should be aware that if the manufacturer doesn't have Windows 7 drivers for a particular model, your chances of driver detective software finding them elsewhere is virtually nil.

Which brings us back to the point I'm making - - the only reliable source of drivers for a factory-built PC is the manufacturer's website.

manicmike

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Phillip, while I thank you for your feedback, I was not seeking a back and forth. Several component manufacturers still have windows 7 drivers for a fair amount of hardware, as most NICs, Optical Drives, and other components have not changed much, if at all over the past year. Most of these are the same devices that were packed into them a year or 2 ago prior to the release of Windows 8. Reliability is not the issue, as if a driver is unavailable I simply tell the customer that is the case.

I am looking for something that can save me the time of manually hunting down a driver, and until then I will manually search for the most updated legitimate driver I can find.