Is as DSLR too big for Disney World?

CMCHLogan

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
My wife and I are going on our first vacation together in a couple weeks. We will be going to Florida, spending a few days at Disney World and a couple at Daytona Beach. I currently have a Nikon d3100 with 18-55 and 55-200 lens as well as an SB700 speedlight. That's a lot of equipment to carry through a park full of people and I'm worried about it getting in the way. Would I be better off buying a point and shoot just for travel that's out of the way? Maybe I'd even invest in a waterproof one for the beach. Or should I just limit my DSLR to one lens and use our iPhones for everything else?

Has anyone here had any experience with this? None of the other forums I've read have provided a compelling argument one way or another.

MfastPrincess

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
From experience, it WILL get in the way a little, but I carry mine around as if it was a purse, and it just becomes part of me. If you're going to Disney though, might want to bring a waterproof bag if you want to go on the splashy / misty rides. I would suggest bringing only your favorite lens too - no need to carry more than one if you're not planning on doing any commercial or portfolio shoots. Have fun at Disney.

CMCHLogan

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Thank you for your input. Do you have any recommendations for a waterproof bag?

MfastPrincess

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
If you are going soon, and can't wait for a shipment of a proper one, many times the sporting goods stores sell pretty big ones for camping specifically for larger cameras. I personally just use a couple of big zip-tops, but then again, I don't shoot WHILE I know I'll be getting wet.