Can't access some applications from home, but can at the workplace?? Help please!

Junglist93

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
When I am at my workplace all applications run perfectly, when I get home and am disconnected from our shared server some applications no longer run and my desktop icons all disappear. I know that none of my applications/downloads/games are saved to this server, and they are on the hardrive of my PC, so how come I cannot access these from home?? I tried installing some applications to my D:/ and that worked for a short while but now a few other applications are having this problem when I get home, but run fine from work.

There is a chance your computer is configured so that your profile (including desktop) is downloaded from the server every time you log-in. Your sysadmin should have set the computer with "roaming" feature.

So, what prevents you from re-creating the icons on your desktop if you have the applications local?

Junglist93

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I see, well if I am to create shortcuts again on my desktop from home it will disappear again each time I come back to work and leave work. Also it's not the shortcuts that are so much the issue it's mainly that I can't 'use' some applications when I get home. For instance, I have bought and downloaded Reason 5 music software for my PC, when I am at work I can use it, when I go home it pops up with the error 'unknown exception', this is just one application that I can't use from home which is a big inconvenience!
Appreciate any help.